PDA

View Full Version : First go at Smokin tex

Deeshay
05-04-2014, 10:49 AM
Just picked up a 1400 the other day. Been a long time offset user, but wanted to get something I could use on a week day..

Trying it out for the first time today.. Doing baby backs and 2 whole chickens. I plan on probing the chickens and just going by time/feel on the ribs.. I'll update how it turns out.

DReeves
05-05-2014, 06:40 AM
Very cool!

Welcome to the family Deeshay (and the forum).

Looking forward to hearing about your many successes ��

bigwalleye
05-05-2014, 07:24 AM
Deeshay,
Welcome to the neighborhood!!

Deeshay
05-07-2014, 09:32 AM
OK here's the post cook breakdown. Ribs turned out great. Nothing fancy, just my favorite rub and 7 hours at 225. Everyone raved about them. The chickens were a little disappointing. For some reason, they stalled at 140 degrees internal temperature even after being on just as long as the ribs. I had to finish them off in the oven and they lost a ton of moisture in there. I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong there. I've included a picture of how I had the smoker loaded, any suggestions would be appreciated. Also note that the pan o the bottom has some water, vinegar and spices in it just to keep things moist. http://imgur.com/wK20EM6

Edit: Added pic as a URL as I was having all kinds of problems uploading to the forums.

DReeves
05-07-2014, 01:50 PM
Wow that's a clean 1400! LOL :)

Not sure what happened on the chickens. I usually will smoke chicken breasts in my smokintex. If cooking an entire chicken, I use my grill.

Did you have anything stuffed inside the chickens? Sometimes that can cause the chicken to take longer to heat up. That is my only thought as to what may have happened....