PDA

View Full Version : Boston Butt and Flat Brisket

frosty
09-27-2014, 06:40 AM
Hi all,
New to forum and looking for a little advice. I've cooked three butts and 1 brisket (on separate occasions) at about an hour a pound and they all seem to need more time.
I would like your advice, based on the following plan will the meat be too dry??

I am smoking a 9 lb Flat Brisket and 10.6 lb Shoulder/Boston Butt, together.
I have a SmokinTex 1100.
Using John Henry's Texas Brisket Rub (brisket) and John Henry's Maple Bacon Seasoning (butt).
Live in Florida so temp outside is in 80's.
Using 1/2 cup of mixed Apple/Hickory chips and 1 medium lump charcoal.
Smoking at 225 degrees.

Planning on eating Sunday at 4pm.
Putting Brisket on top rack and Butt on bottom.
Meat thermometer in Boston Butt.
Starting smoker at 9:30PM Saturday night. (1.5 hours smoking per pound, 2 hours rest, 1 hour in case it's not done)
Plan on taking it out when temp in Boston Butt hits 200, hopefully around Sunday at 1pm.
Wrapping in foil and letting set for 2 hours in oven at lowest setting, i think it's 175 degrees.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions, main concern is getting the meat very tender but not drying it out.

Thanks so much for your time.
Frosty

admin
09-27-2014, 11:29 AM
Hello Frosty and welcome!
Check out what one of our Top Senior Members has to say about smokin a pork butt.
http://smokintex.com/forums/showthread.php?691-Redo-on-pic-s&highlight=boston+butt
Also do a search for boston butt, pork shoulder, brisket etc. for more tips and smokin inspiration.
Happy smokin!

bigwalleye
09-29-2014, 05:12 PM
Frosty,
A big welcome to the forum. I think you have a solid plan, but I'd advise putting the temp probe in the brisket, which would be more susceptible to drying, and pull it at the temp target to foil it and wrap in a towel and move to a cooler to hold it until the butt is ready. When you pull the brisket move the probe to the butt and keep runnig it to 200.

The butt will be more forgiving for an immediate pulling when it's ready.

DReeves
09-30-2014, 10:02 AM
What BigWalleye said!!!

Welcome to the family, Frosty!!!! Happy to see you here :)

frosty
10-08-2014, 01:01 PM
Thanks so much. I think my temp probe is not working properly, i have an idevice and it would not go past 190. Put meat on at 9PM and took off at 3pm and it still read 190.
Pulled perfectly, brisket was a little dry but not too bad.

Thanks, i have invested in two different temp probes and will try it again.
Best Regards,