PDA

View Full Version : Pancetta

CC1MAN
07-02-2015, 11:21 AM
I've seen several good recipes for bacon on the SmokinTex forum, but I haven't seen anything for PANCETTA, an Italian dry cured bacon. So here's some information on my first attempt at making PANCETTA. I talked to SmokinTex first about posting because the recipe involves product from another online retailer. They don't have any competing products for SmokinTex so they told me it was OK to mention the product in my PANCETTA recipe. I actually use the recipe at www.drybagsteak.com to cure the side pork for two weeks. I first cold smoked the raw side pork with apple wood chips in my SmokinTex model 1400. I rubbed in the salt, sugar, cure, and spices then sealed it in a regular vacuum bag to cure for two weeks in the fridge. Then I will seal them in a Umai Dry bag from drybagsteak.com and dry age it in the fridge for 3 weeks on a rack so air can circulate all around the meat to dry it properly. Umai has a video that shows the process. Easy! I'm going to cure mine flat, not rolled. Remember, if you try this, cold smoke in your SmokinTex first!368

Picture shows the side pork curing in a regular vacuum bag. You can use a zip lock bag.

admin
07-02-2015, 01:29 PM
CC!MAN, Hello! Thanks for posting your Pancetta process. Please give us a follow-up with finished product and plated pix please!
Happy smokin!

CC1MAN
07-04-2015, 01:18 PM
369Here are the 2 pieces of side pork that I cured for 2 weeks and is now ready to go into the UMAi Dry bags for the dry aging process. One is 5.71 lbs and the other is 5.46 lbs. Now I have to be patient until they lose 25% to 30% of their weight. Like I said in the first post, I first cold smoked with apple wood both pieces in my SmokinTex model 1400!