PDA

View Full Version : newbie alert

Chinkowski
04-07-2017, 03:18 PM
hello all,
about a week or so ago I ordered an 1100 and got right to it. I followed Scott's video instruction on how to smoke a brisket and it came out perfect. I, and everybody that came over to witness this gala event was impressed. this thing made a first time amateur look like a pro. on to the next hunk of meat.542

Sodaking27
04-07-2017, 05:16 PM
Chinowski,
Looks like you are off to a great start. Nice looking brisket. Welcome to the family and keep the posts coming. Looking forward to seeing your future cooks.

Chinkowski
04-07-2017, 06:48 PM
Thanks, it was all the smoker I swear, lol. Anyway, I'm going to give a pork butt a shot this Sunday and go for the repeat. I just picked up a maverick so that should help out a bit. I found a good rub recipe wandering around here. There is definitely a lot of great info on here. Thanks to all the elder statesman for all the info. Makes it a lot easier to experiment with all the great advice out there.

Chinkowski
04-10-2017, 03:57 PM
well, mixed up some of billy bob's pork rub and smoked the pork shoulder for about 12 hrs at 225 f with 4 oz of apple wood, and it came out fabulous. I think I would prefer a bone in, but it still turned out great. it was a great day to be outside doing yardwork, I'm not sure my neighbors feel the same way !!
ATTACH=CONFIG]543[/ATTACH]

Sodaking27
04-10-2017, 05:58 PM
That's a great looking shoulder. I do agree, there's something about having that bone in shoulder. You'll be amazed at how many neighbors you never knew you had once they smell the great aroma coming from the smoker.

bigwalleye
04-11-2017, 09:11 AM
Congrats on a great looking cook! They say you always remember your first.....

Chinkowski
04-17-2017, 02:15 PM
well, the adventure continues. I decided to smoke a bone in turkey breast and see how that would come out. the wife put the pressure on and made it part of our Easter brunch, which is dangerous because of the newbie status. anyway, I set the smoker at 225 and put probe in and let 'er rip. the one thing that makes me nervous is placing the probe. how do you know you've got a good placement until its too late. the breasts are definitely trickier than other cuts of meat. as a side note I found some Lawry's poultry rub at Sam's club and went with 4 oz. of apple wood for the smoke. I can see how you could over smoke or overpower this particular cut, but because my smoker is so new I figured I'd be ok. about 3 hours into it I was rapidly approaching 165 internal temp. I thought that was way too quick or I messed up my probe placement so I let it go to 170 and pulled it. I just left it rest in a pan and foiled it. to my surprise, this was one of the most moist and tender turkey breasts I've ever had. everyone at the brunch was commenting how good it was. truthfully I was shocked. I'll tell you, this smoker is amazing. sorry no pics, but it really wasn't that pretty. next time I think ill back down the wood a touch, but probably not do anything different. not sure what's next, but I can't wait.

bigwalleye
04-17-2017, 04:03 PM
I think 3 hours is about right, and it appears your temp probe confirmed that. I've done a number of them, bone in and bone out, with regular and poultry Lawry's, and others, including Hy's seasoning from Canada (my favorite). The trick is to get the probe in to about the midpoint, and not touch the bone.

Chinkowski
04-18-2017, 11:20 AM
I'm thinking about some boneless baby back ribs. what do you guys think about time and temp settings ?? I think they are on the thin side so to get a probe in could be a problem. I'm a little hesitant about this one. the only reason I'm going boneless is I have some in the freezer. any suggestions would be appreciated.

bigwalleye
04-18-2017, 02:16 PM
I had to look on the interwebs to see if that was even a thing...Appears that it is. What do you hang onto when you eat 'em?? I mean, besides the flavor, the bone is kind of a built in handle....

Ok, seriously, I think I'd start at 225, mix of apple and cherry chunks, a couple charcoal briquettes, 3 hours, and have a peek and go from there. I'd look for them to be pretty tender, but you've got a lot more surface area, so you may have more bark on the edges, since there are a lot more edges.Generally, with ribs, while you are heating the bone as well, they're cooking from the inside out and the pull back of the meat from the bone ends is one sign of done-ness.

Chinkowski
04-18-2017, 02:59 PM
ill take a pic and show you. I seen them in the case at Sam's club cheap so I picked them up. how bad could they be ?? sounds like some good info. I'll have to pick up some cherry because all I have at this point is apple and hickory. I do have some of that Billy bob's pork rub left over from the shoulder I did so I'll use that and see what happens.

bigwalleye
04-18-2017, 04:16 PM
It's funny you mention rubs, and I think about how different my rib rub is from my pork butt rub.

While I do use a commercial salt based rib rub from Kansas City, my first coat is white sugar, beau monde and Tony Chachere's creole seasoning. I like a little sweet and sticky, a little celery/onion, and a little spice in with the salt and garlic spice from the commercial rub, but, nevertheless, i treat my meat cuts way differently from the same animal.

Chinkowski
04-24-2017, 09:52 AM
well, I attempted the boneless baby backs. I used the standard brisket rub on 2, and Billy bobs pork rub on the other 2. I used 4 oz. apple and 2 charcoal briquettes, set the temp at 225 degrees and cooked for 4 hours. when I rubbed them I noticed one had very little fat and the others had a decent layer. the one with no fat was a little dry. the other 3 were very good. I think I could get away with 3 hours and hopefully they would be juicier so I could sauce them and finish them on the grill. I was afraid to do that with the fear of completely drying them out. overall I think they came out decent, flavor was decent, and they were easy to prepare. I will try them again, but the bone in ones might be better, we shall see. also, I think I need to come up with a rib rub to give them their own identity. next week, another brisket, I love brisket. those ribs weighed aprox. 6# when I started.

Chinkowski
05-10-2017, 12:00 PM
attempted a couple pounds of salmon this weekend from Sam's club. I'll have to say it came out pretty good. I used 2 oz. of alder wood and cooked at 200 for 2 hrs. I probably could get away with a little less time so it would be a little more moist, not that it was dry by any means. pretty tasty stuff.