PDA

View Full Version : Flat cut brisket

Nellie
03-23-2020, 11:11 AM
Smoked my first brisket yesterday and looking for inputs.

Smoked a 9.5 lb brisket, had to cut it in half did not use a meat probe and let it smoked for 17 hours at 225 F.

A nice crust developed and I find the thinner section quite dry.757

Love to hear from you guys. Thanks!

bigwalleye
03-23-2020, 03:28 PM
Seems kind of long for time. You didn't use a probe to cook, but did you check temp when it was done? Temp REALLY is the key with these, much moreso than weight.

Nellie
03-23-2020, 06:33 PM
Seems kind of long for time. You didn't use a probe to cook, but did you check temp when it was done? Temp REALLY is the key with these, much moreso than weight.

No sir, didnít do both. Whatís the ideal temp for the meat. The product is a bit dry I will turn this into a chili instead.

bigwalleye
03-23-2020, 09:04 PM
While I think the recommendation for time is an hour and a half a pound at 250. I like 225 and an internal temp of 195 to slice. And slice across the grain. Some care must be taken with the flat. It’s pretty unforgiving, there’s almost no fat. Some folk will wrap in butcher paper for a bit to help boost the temp. Pull at 190 and let it rest a bit. Give it a quick wrap in foil and a towel and then into a cooler for half an hour. The temp will climb the remainder.

Search here for brisket, and good recipes and more info will be found.

Nellie
03-24-2020, 09:51 AM
Thank you Bigwalleye, I assume that the 195 IT applies to both flat and point cut. Got another brisket to try, this one is about 14 lbs. As always, thank you for your input, will show pictures.

Nellie

bigwalleye
03-24-2020, 04:02 PM
Yes, applies to both, but the point and flat will react differently and at different rates. Can't stress enough the need for a dual probe remote read thermometer. Put the probes in and run the wires through the smoke hole at the top to the readout unit. A Maverick 732 is but one of the many out there. Separate the flat and the point, since the two will need to be pulled at different times.

Also, do a search for member Sodaking27, he's done some very nice cooks here on the forum, and his posts are always worth a read.

Nellie
03-24-2020, 04:59 PM
Yes sir, will check out sodaking27 post. Have been using my Maverick dual probes for many of my smokes and loving it.

Nellie
03-29-2020, 04:56 PM
Bigwalleye, is it common to see temperature stalls at 170 or does it requires patience?

bigwalleye
03-29-2020, 08:53 PM
Stall is normal. When it takes off again, get ready. It’ll be done soon.

Nellie
03-29-2020, 09:21 PM
Sorry to bother you, you wrap or no wrap?

Remove the flat at 196 but the point showed 202. Will post pictures when my brother in law comes to pick up the brisket.

Nellie
03-29-2020, 10:26 PM
Bigwalleye, see attached pictures.

bigwalleye
03-30-2020, 01:47 PM
How were they? Look good.....

As to wrap, I have seen folk wrap in butcher paper, or foil. In my mind, you lose bark with foil since it holds moisture in. I have wrapped with butcher paper, and I think that helps hold in the heat but allows moisture to escape.

Nellie
03-30-2020, 04:22 PM
Bigwalleye,

Much better this time around, moist and tender practically melts in your mouth. In regards to wrapping, agree, one looses the bark when it’s wrapped but my people doesn’t seems to mind.

Thanks again Bigwalleye.

bigwalleye
04-02-2020, 10:02 AM
Glad to help! Some folk wrap in butcher paper. It helps keep the bark but can function similar to foil without destroying the bark. It'll help that temp ramp up quicker in the stall and beyond. Once I notice the stall, I'll wrap that way if I need to get things moving. Seems like it shortens the stall and ramp up afterward.

DReeves
04-23-2020, 08:50 AM
Glad to help! Some folk wrap in butcher paper. It helps keep the bark but can function similar to foil without destroying the bark. It'll help that temp ramp up quicker in the stall and beyond. Once I notice the stall, I'll wrap that way if I need to get things moving. Seems like it shortens the stall and ramp up afterward.

To add a little more context. Search for Aaron Franklin on Youtube. He is a BBQ Guru. Very humble, common sense. His restaurant wraps brisket in butcher paper. Watch his videos on brisket, you will likely learn something about trimming, smoking and slicing brisket. I know I did (learn a lot!)