PDA

View Full Version : Smoked Whole catfish.

smokin-tnpete
08-01-2008, 06:32 AM
Clean and wash catfish good.

Mix up your favorite Brine ( Search for brine there's plenty of them)
In a pot I pour 1/2 gallon water
1/4 cup of salt
1/2 cup brown sugar make sure it dissolves
6 whole catfish around the same weight I like them to be around 3/4 lb or 1 lb

Most will call for a gallon of water and a cup of salt. But as the fish are not going to be held for a month. I cut my salt back.
After getting the brine ready. pour it in a plastic container. And add fish. Let them soak for around 8 hours.
Take fish out of the brine. And dry with paper towels. And then allow to air dry they will get a light glaze on them.
Take your favorite cooking spray and spray the fish with it. And then sprinkle black pepper and red pepper on them to your taste. I cover them with both.,
I have a big half circle needle, And with cotton twine. I place the twine in the collar bone of the catfish. Allow about a 3" loop above the fish.
Then I use Hardwood dowel rods that are 1/4" thick. Mine are cut 17 3/4" long. Place the fish on the rod and hang them in the smoker.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/cooking/CTop024.jpg

I smoke them at 235 and it take me around 3 hours for the 3/4 lb or better fish. I take mine out when they have that golden brown color to them. No smoke as the smoker gives them all the flavor they need.
Hope you enjoy them. Each time I smoke a batch, There gone in a heart beat.
Pete

Doc
05-30-2012, 11:37 AM
Do you normally eat the catfish plain or with other preps?

smokin-tnpete
10-08-2017, 08:51 AM
Doc not sure how I have overlooked your post this long. But at times we only eat the smoked fish. Other times I will fix Hushpuppys and fries with them. Or flake the meat off. And mix it up making smoked Fish Tacos.