PDA

View Full Version : The best butts in town

cajunbill
08-02-2008, 05:46 PM
Hello every fellow smoke lover! I've had my 1400 for about 3 years and have used it to smoke just about everything . But my favorite thing is butts. I rub them down with a dry rub toss them in with about 3oz of apple chips for 12-13 hours wrap in foil for 1 more and let the fun begin. Everybody that has tried this meat is surprised at the flavor and the simplicity of the cooking .:cool:

smokin-tnpete
08-05-2008, 07:02 AM
Hello every fellow smoke lover! I've had my 1400 for about 3 years and have used it to smoke just about everything . But my favorite thing is butts. I rub them down with a dry rub toss them in with about 3oz of apple chips for 12-13 hours wrap in foil for 1 more and let the fun begin. Everybody that has tried this meat is surprised at the flavor and the simplicity of the cooking .:cool:

That is what I enjoy about the SmokinTex. It take's all the work out of smoking. And allows us to enjoy what we used to have to stay up hours for. Now we can put it in the smoker. And Set it and forget it.
Glad to see you posting, I hope we can get a lot more posters. Would be nice to hear from others how they use there smokers. AS I bet we can find a lot of great food that others would enjoy fixing on there smoker.
Pete

BillyQue
11-19-2008, 02:52 PM
Last weekend did 2 almost 9 pound butts and rubbed them with Cajun Injector dry rub:Hickory Grill flavor and sprinkled on some Louisiana brand Cajun Seasoning.Also mixed the 2 seasonings in a sauce pan with water and boiled the mixture and let cool a little before injecting the butts with that mix.Looked and smelled and tasted so good when done 14 and a half hours later!!Using the 2 seasonings as a rub on baby backs was also very good!I have the 1400 Smokin Tex and loved it for the last 3 years.

topgun
03-04-2009, 07:02 PM
Just as background...I grew up in Eastern North Carolina, so I've had some pretty good BBQ.

Just got a model 1100 Smokin Tex and had seasoned it as required and did one batch of ribs that turned out okay but not great (not due to the cooker but the cook. I cooked it too long. Oh well, live and learn).

This past weekend I did a small 3 lb. pork butt with bone. Rubbed it in my special magic dust, wrapped it and in the fridge overnight. In the smoker at 12:00 noon with one large chunk of hickory and two smaller ones of oak at 225. Pulled it out at 4:00. Lovely color and great smokey smell. Internal temp 150. Put butt in large roaster, tightly covered with double aluminum foil, and into a 250 oven for 2 1/2 hrs. Took it out, let it rest for about 15 minutes, pulled it and added some sauce (see below). It was fabulous! Like I remember...Added a little more sauce on the sandwich.

Sauce: 1/2 cup cider vinegar, 1/2 white vinegar, 1 tsp red pepper flakes, 1 TBSP light brown sugar, one container Spenda. Stirred and let it sit for a few hours.

chockman
04-16-2010, 06:55 PM
My wife gets mad when I play with other butts. But I have nice one in the fridge right now.She's about 9 pounds. I[ll have to play with it tonight when the lights go out. I'll let you know how it turned out tomorrow afternoon. There will be no rubbing on this one,just pure smoke.

chockman
04-19-2010, 02:28 AM
It was the most tender,moist meat I have ever smoked. At this elevation it took 15.5 hours and was worth every second. I did rub it with salt,pepper and paparika. The bark was so tasty I could have made a meal out of it alone.
I set it at 225 degrees and let it do it's thing,never opened the door once. I used 8 ounces of Hickory and a couple pices of charcoal,still did not get the smoke flavor I'M looking for, but it was still great. Cooked to an internal temp of 195 degrees.

The Rib Eyes really took the smoke flavor and were only in for 20 minutes,any suggestions for smoking other meats ?

Doc
05-30-2012, 11:09 AM
;)Success is always sweet!