Omaha Jack
12-15-2009, 09:48 PM
I would like to know what type of woods most people use with:

pork

beef

turkey

chicken

fish

I was given a log of white oak and hickory, and a bag of pear and peach wood. How will these different woods flavor the meat?

Anyone try peach wood?

Pear wood?

White oak?

Hickory?

Tampasteve
12-16-2009, 02:15 PM
I prefer Hickory, and the fruity woods. Tends to make the meat sweet and smokey. I use alot of cherry,and apple. And sometimes pecan for that roasted nutty flavor especially on poultry...Good luck.....Steve

kylougrad
12-17-2009, 01:45 PM
I agree with Tampasteve. Users manual has good suggestions too. Just don't use too much to start with. These smokers need very little wood.

Scarbelly
12-23-2009, 01:05 PM
I agree with Tampasteve. Users manual has good suggestions too. Just don't use too much to start with. These smokers need very little wood.

Man that is the truth - it is really easy to "over smoke" so less is better most of the time - I also use mostly apple and pecan and some hickory

Tampasteve
12-23-2009, 04:53 PM
I did 5 slabs of ribs last weekend in my 1400. And used 2 chunks of apple and 1 chunk of hickory. After 6 hours there was still several small pieces of pretty much coals left. And the ribs were lip smakin' good......Good Luck... Steve

Omaha Jack
12-24-2009, 10:44 PM
1st smoke was last night (I didn't inhale!!!).

I did a chicken and used 4 oz of hickory and peach combo. I cooked it until it was 170 degrees.

This was a 5.5 lb. whole chicken, and let me tell you, it was the BEST tasting chicken I have ever had!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice and jiucy and really a sweet smoked flavor!!!!!!!!

Go SmokinTex!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FJRRider
12-26-2009, 01:20 AM
Man what a great question Omaha Jack.My experience has been any wood from a fruit or nut bearing tree is game.You will find so many sources online for such a variety of endless possibilities.Hickory is always a good standard for just about anything but until you get into the other woods you have no idea what you are missing out on.Your guests will always give comments.So many are just tired of hickory.For fish like trout,salmon,tuna try alder or maple with it being cooked on a well soaked cedar or fruitwood plank.My favorite for poultry is cherry with peach or nectarine a close second.I have used apple,peach or sugar maple from Maine or Vermont.Venison is great with maple,pecan or hickory.Try using sugar maple with a brown sugar rub on your pork.Gives a great taste.Beef is good with hickory,mesquite,walnut,oak or pecan.If you really want to try something different use wine or whiskey barrel chips.Really puts a great zing into the meats and you wont want to leave the patio while it is cooking.The aroma is delightful.