PDA

View Full Version : New Guy

xmotorjock
12-24-2009, 04:41 PM
Ok guys and gals, I just got the ok from the boss and purchased my 1400 today. It's doing the break in smoke as I type. I can't say enough about the staff at Smokin Tex with the questions I had before biting the bullet. I am sure that in the near future, I will have plenty of questions regarding smoking different meats. I've been lurking until now.

Happy Holidays to you all.

Phil

Tampasteve
12-24-2009, 05:48 PM
Enjoy it. Load it up get smokin'. Mine has really grown on me. Starting to cook something almost every weekend. Amazing results.....Good Luck...Steve

xmotorjock
12-26-2009, 04:21 PM
Ok, I rubbed down two slabs of baby back ribs and let them sit overnight. I put 3 small chunks of wood (maybe should used 1 or 2) and cut them in 1/2 and placed them on two racks for 4 hrs. When I opened it, there was definately plenty of smoke flavor on them, but was a little dissapointed that they were not any more tender. I wrapped them in foil and put them in the oved at 225 for about an hr. Haven't gotten them out yet. They say the shelves can go in the dishwasher, but seems like you'd need a pretty industrial one to clean them off. Do most of you just get a sos pad and wipe them down? I'll let you know how they come out from the oven.

I guess I shouldn't expect to much the first time.

Thanks for any help,

Phil

Tampasteve
12-26-2009, 06:55 PM
When I did ribs I cooked them for 6hrs. at 200 degrees. Try not to open the door if you can resist. And mine have been tender. I got my 1400 several months ago and have done ribs @ 6 times. 1st time I checked them several times and per the instructions each time you open the door add 30 more minutes to your total time. But I have figured out 6hrs minimum for ribs no matter how few of even a full smoker. Good luck and enjoy it....

Scarbelly
12-28-2009, 11:32 AM
Hey Phil, welcome to the club - I highly recommend that you mosey over to the Smoking Meat Forum and brouse around there for some great recipes and incredible support from fellow smokers in addition to this site.
Gary

Herman
12-29-2009, 04:51 PM
Phil
I usually put my ribs on with about 2 oz of apple wood. My experience has shown me that the cooking temp of ribs has very little to do with tenderness. I cook anywhere from 210 to 250 with the same results in tenderness. let them go for about 2 to 3 hours depending how much smoke flavor you like. then foil with a little apple juice and cook for 2 more hours. then remove foil add sauce and finish for about another hour or until a test rib tells u they are like you want them-just let them continue cooking until the ribs or as tender as you want. in the rib world this is known as the 3-2-1 way to do ribs. works every time for spares -the only kind I cook
Herman