PDA

View Full Version : Thermometer

BWS
01-07-2010, 07:14 PM
Greetings everyone,

New to the forum and love my SmokinTex smoker. I'm looking for recommendations on a decent thermometer. I bought a digital oven thermometer that has the meat probe attached to a pretty small diameter insulated cord (approx 2-3 feet long) that plugs into a AA battery operated digital control panel. I placed the probe in the meat, ran the little cord along the bottom of the smoker and shut/locked the smoker door with the cord hanging out, then plugged it into the control panel and set my temp. It worked perfectly for about 2 or 3 smoking outings, then crapped out on me. I'm guessing the heat got to the cord and fried the control panel.

Short story long, does anyone use anything like that or should I stick to the traditional open the door when I think it's ready, insert the thermometer and get a reading, etc. ... that routine?

Thanks for any help.

Ben

Tampasteve
01-08-2010, 03:00 PM
Use the probe with the cord just as you explained except run it up to the top and out the smoke hole. You probably pinched off the probe wire by closing the door. I use mine thru the smoke hole and just set it on top of the smoker, it doesn't get that hot enough on top to effect anything...Good Luck...Steve

BWS
01-08-2010, 11:56 PM
Great suggestion, Steve. I feel like an idiot now. Appreciate the response. Let the smokin begin.