PDA

View Full Version : Multiple layers of ribs?

bockert
08-07-2008, 09:19 AM
I have a solution to this problem so was just curious if anyone else has had the same issues I have had trying to smoke multiple layers of ribs horizontally?

I have had my 1500 for a few years now. I was lucky enough to pick one up from Bass Pro Shops when they had them on special, they no longer carry that model. I have had extremely good luck with it mostly smoking small batches (3 racks or so) of ribs. About a year ago word got around and I was asked to prepare 12 racks for a party. I happily loaded up 6 layers of ribs, smoked until the thickest part hit 165 and was dissapointed to find all but the top shelf had a sickly grey color and were only 'ok", not the fantastic I was used to. Looking for a solution I noticed Smokintex had the stainless steel hooks 12 for 12.95. The next ribs I smoked I hung vertically, end of problem. All 12 racks came out great.

My question... Photos on the Smokintex web site show show mutliple racks of ribs in the horizontal configuration all looking great. Is this artistic license or is there some aspect of this that I am missing?

Thanks!!!

Bill

smokin-tnpete
08-09-2008, 02:39 PM
Bill I have smoked 24 sides of baby backs on mine at one time. And had 3 sides per rack.
And all that I did was an hour in I took the bottom rack and put it in place of the top rack. And the top rack in the bottom. And then swapped out the rest like that as second from the top for the second from the bottom.
They came out great. And everyone did like them. That is what I do. AS the lower ones will look better then the top racks. I think its from the moisture coming down on the top rack.
Pete

dei08dei
12-31-2008, 12:50 PM
Bill I have smoked 24 sides of baby backs on mine at one time. And had 3 sides per rack.
And all that I did was an hour in I took the bottom rack and put it in place of the top rack. And the top rack in the bottom. And then swapped out the rest like that as second from the top for the second from the bottom.
They came out great. And everyone did like them. That is what I do. AS the lower ones will look better then the top racks. I think its from the moisture coming down on the top rack.
Pete

The procedure above also worked for me.

Papa K
01-31-2009, 12:23 AM
Smok'in Tex sells a special rack for your smoker that holds the ribs vertically. You can get 8 slabs per rack and you can put 3 racks in your 1500 smoker. But, they are not listed in their store and you have to ask for it special. I forget the price but it is well worth the dollars you will spend.

I have cooked ribs in all 24 slots and was not disappointed in the least. I did swap the bottom and the top rack half way through but there was NO discoloration at all, only nice brown ribs after 51/2 hours at 225 degrees. They were then ready for my own special sauce that I mop on them on a charcoal grill next. I did use both burners at 1400 watts with wood chips in both sides.

I have fed as many as 100 people loading up the smoker with Boston Butts and then making pulled pork sandwiches even had some left over!
Another time I fed almost 50 people with ribs alone...but I believe a person can feed many more individuals because you will more than likely have your own special baked beans, coleslaw, cornbread, some type of potato and some good ole sweet tea. Hope that increases your hopes for even bigger BBQ events. Just want to help.:D