PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather

tharder
03-17-2010, 07:43 PM
Hi Gang,

I'm new here. I'm about to buy a 1400 and had a question about smoking in cold weather. I live in Minnesota and it gets mighty cold here. How does this unit perform in -10 below weather?

I've been looking at all sorts of smokers and I really want one of these. So easy to work with and I'm tired of tending coals and missing parts our family festivities in order to put on a good spread.

I finally pulled the trigger and bought a nice gas grill to install in a simple outdoor kitchen I'm going to build (in a screen porch-10' high). I want a smoker for all the grill cannot do (I know, that's plenty). I'm going to build part of the countertop just for this unit (a lower top to act as a cart, catch everything, and keep the dog out).

But, I need some assurance this unit can handle the cold weather. I need to cook some large meals for 20 people at Thanksgiving and Christmas.

If it would struggle...what if I made an insulating blanket out of welders blankets?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your feedback. Most appreciated.!

kylougrad
03-18-2010, 09:45 AM
Welcome,

Not to worry about smokin in cold weather. At Safari Club International heard Alaska guy say it smoked at 30 below. Smoked at about 11 degrees and no problem except my beer froze.

Screened in porch no problem either.

Go for it.

tharder
03-18-2010, 08:15 PM
Thanks Kylougrad, that's just what I was hoping to hear. If they work well in Alaska, they'll work well in MN.

Thanks!

Franny
01-15-2012, 03:40 PM
Ok guys - I was wondering the same thing. I've had my smoker for several years and LOVE it!! Yesterday evening at about 5:30, I put in 3 corned beefs to make my Pastrami. This morning, when I went to check, the internal temp was only 140 degrees. It got down in the low 20's last night and I'm wondering what happend. The smoker's under my covered patiom, against the house. I touched the unit and it was cold, but there was definitely smoke coming up from the vent on top. I finally gave up at about 12:30 this afternoon. The top meat was at 175.9. This seems pretty excessive in the way of time. The bottom meats were beautifully fork tender. I'm hoping that the top piece will pick up temp as it rests. I've got it wrapped tightly in aluminum foil. I smoked these at 220 and then, this afternoon, raised the heat to 225. Could there be something wrong with my smoker???

bigwalleye
01-15-2012, 08:16 PM
Franny,
I' m also in MN. I ran some pork butts for Christmas, we were a standing temp of 18 at night when I started, and a little wind. Started at 180 for the night, up to 250 in the moning. While this is my first winter on the unit, my experiences thus far have shown me that it takes longer to raise the cabinet temp, and like anything in the cold raising the temp causes a little sweat on the inside. It seems like my pork butts took a little longer and even when I reached temp, my bark wasn't as "barky" as normal. I did add a little water to the cabinet, though, trying to double up and run a couple fatties at the same time, so I opened the cabinet door a couple times, and tossed in a llittle water thinking I was afraid I'd dry things out otherwise. Next time, no water add, and rather than cranking to 250, think I'll go to 240, taking a little longer to let the temp climb slower. It'll be a little longer smoke, but a slower rising heat should work off that additional cold weather moisture.

Keep working on it, take notes, and experiment. Most of the time, things can be duplicated, sometimes we need to "adapt and overcome".

Smoke on!

Franny
01-16-2012, 11:16 PM
My pastrami was great! I wrapped it up for an hour and put some of the liquid (minus the fat, which had become solid) in the foil. They were moist and delicious. If I do this again in the cold, I'll start in the mid afternoon instead and then let it go all night. I only opened the door once after about 1/2 hour because I couldn't get the thermometer with the remote transmitter to work and changed to my All Clad. I don't think that made a real big difference in the time it took. Thanks for the info. I'm in New Mexico, but I've been to MN in the real cold!!!! How do you guys live up there. LOL