PDA

View Full Version : Smoker making hissing sound

Fred
03-22-2010, 05:57 PM
New to smoking.Bought a 1400 about a month ago and love it.Used it afew times without trouble.This past week-end I was smoking some pork loin.About an hour into the smoking the smoker made a loud hissing sound ,it sounded like a steam line break.It only lasted a few seconds.When it stoped I herd metal movment inside and the temp. spiked.I was using 4ozs. of apple wood from a local orchard.When I was finished smoking I opened the door everything was in place as it should be. Other than that scary moment I love my 1400.Did I do somthing wrong? Also when you put the wood box in is the large opening to be towards the front or the back.

admin
03-23-2010, 11:21 AM
Probable culprit is wood not dry, some liquid/sap trapped in it or it might be air trapped in wood. Not to worry, it happens and sometime the pop is really loud but no harm done. Do not open the door to investigate in case some more air is trapped in the wood.

The good thing about the smoke box is it doesn't go in if you put it in wrong, the door won't close. The flat side of the box faces you and the side that has an indentation will go toward the back.

Just make sure the wood you use is dry.

Happy Smokin'

Admin

Fred
03-23-2010, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the info.I was hoping it was something as simple as that.

Fred

Tampasteve
03-24-2010, 07:55 AM
Yes. The local wood from a orchard probably wasn't dry enough. And the suge in temp was a small fire created by the leaking moisture(flare-up). You should be good to go....Good Luck, and Enjoy your ST........Steve