PDA

View Full Version : Thermometer

chockman
04-10-2010, 02:11 AM
I purchased the dual probe thermometer when I ordered the 1500 cxld. I have read the post about droping the probes down through the smoke hole. My only question is ? How do most of you folks use it ? Do you put it in a brisket when you start the smoker or do you wait and insert the probes when it is nearly finished.

I am high altitude,so I realize I will have to dial it down about 5% on the temp setting. I have a small 4.5 pound,packer cut brisket,I know this is small but I am only playing with the new smoker and feeding two people. I am thinking 210 for a temp and about 6 hours to cook. I'll take any advice you can throw at me. Thanks:p

Wheelz
04-12-2010, 03:56 PM
Yes, put it in the brisket prior to closing the door. Depending on the manufacturer, you can either drop the probe down thru the hole OR fish the plug-end up thru the whole. Some have difficulty dropping the probe thru the hole because of the curve. Do whatever works for you. :D

Now, 4.5 lb is now packer unless your butcher has killed a calf. You probably have a brisket flat. NEVER cook by time, always shoot for internal temp. IMO, 210 is way high. I start checking mine at 195*. Test it with your probe, it should go thru with very little resistance.

Remember too that each brisket is a different critter - no two are alike. The grading will make a difference as well. I try to always choose "choice." Most of the "select" graded briskets I've smoked turn out rather tough and on the dry side. Look for something with good marbling and about a 1/4 inch fat-cap. Contrary to popular opinion, cook with the fat-side down. The fat on top "will not" baste the brisket, it only rolls down the sides. The fat-cap on the bottom acts as a heat sink and helps keep the brisket from drying out.

Hope this helps a little!

chockman
04-12-2010, 08:15 PM
The probes , snake through the smoke hole just fine. The 210 was my suggested smoker thermometer temp due to my elevation 7200 foot.

I cooked it to an internal temp of 191 degrees,wish I could have let it get to 195 internal temp but time was short and I had to leave. It turned out pretty tender and juicy as it was. I wraped it in foil at an internal temp of 160 and then countinued to smoke it until it reached 191.

I had a GFI pop about the time it started to produce smoke. I did not notice this until 45 minutes to an hour into it. I used 8 ounces of that Texas wood I can't spell and it did not absorb much smoke flavor. I think this was the initial fact that it shut down on me earlier. Could it have been the fact that the meat had already started absorbing the smoke with the heat, and then it cooled down to much ? Maybe kind of initially seared the meat ? I'll do it again but I have to get it down. It is destined for the Virgin Islands and my commercial kitchen. Thanks for the help and advice.

chockman
04-12-2010, 10:30 PM
Thanks Wheelz. I sent you a message earlier and damned if I know what happened to it.
The 210 degree temp was in reference to the thermostat for the smoker,I live at 7200 feet elevation.

I ran the thermometer through the smoke hole,no problems. I wanted to cook it to an internal temp of 195. I ran out of time and had to leave so I got it to 191 degree internal temp. It was still pretty tender. The smoker must have had the break in blues. It started smoking and shortly afterward it tripped my GFI. I did not notice this for about an hour,so I think the brisket started to absorb the smoke and then it had a chance to cool down before I noticed. It did not absorb very much smoke flavor. I used that Texas wood I won't try to spell right now,it work very well on a couple of ribeye's I smoked for 20 minutes using the same wood.

I have got to get a handle on this baby,it is going way down South,Virgin islands way. Time for a change in life,time to open a Bar/Grill. Thanks for the help and advice,I look forward to hearing from you.

Wheelz
04-13-2010, 11:31 AM
That Texas wood you speak on is Mesquite. Good stuff for brisket - but watch it. Mesquite can get bitter real quick!

When I do brisket or pork butt, I usually start them the night before. Toss them in the ST (smokintex) and put the temp at about 180* then crank it up in the morning. This usually eliminates time scheduling issues. If it gets done early you can always wrap it in foil, a towel and toss it in a cooler (FTC). It will hold food safety temp for a good four hours.

Now, what in the world are you going to do in the Virgin Islands? Seriously, you're going to open a bar/grill...?

chockman
04-13-2010, 07:14 PM
Yes we are. The Bike,the wife,the dogs and a commercial kitchen of which I have never built before. I don't expect it to be easy.A lot of folks say,"Oh my God" you don't know what work is. They would be correct,since I have worked for Uncle Sam for the past 20 years. Before Uncle Sam I busted my butt for peanuts,now I sit on it,slowing down to much. Bring it on,I'M ready.

I have been smoking for quite a few years now,charchol and hickory mostly. I find the old charchol smoker to difficult to regulate the temp on,so hence the Smokin Tex. I agree to being able to set it at night is a really good thing,makes cooking for the masses a lot eaiser. I follow a board on the Virgin islands,they talk about anything you can think of. Some want a North Carolina style,some want Texas and everyone likes us folks from Tenn,neighbor. I am thinking the big differences are wood and sauce,so I may be able to accomadate most folks. Your talking with the Chief cook and bottle washer,we have about 3000 square foot on a Cliff,open air walls like a beach bar.

My bar blender has a windshield,2 mirrors,handle bars with a throtle and leather saddle bags. 4 stroke,no gas/oil mix,only to be used for special occasians. I'M sure I will be on this Forum for a while. When the web site is up and running,I'll post it here. It may be a place you would like to visit.