PDA

View Full Version : 1500 cxld

Herman
08-15-2008, 06:26 PM
I recently(first part of this year) purchased a 1500 cxld to supplement my sp 200 in the restaurant and have enjoyed using it. I have over 25 years experience in the restaurant business and have cooked eastern NC type bbq on about any type of cooker you can name. Q out of this smoker is very easy and very tasty. Will be glad to answer questions from anyone about q

Herman

luke clayton
08-16-2008, 12:06 PM
Herman, Luke Clayton here. Do you cook mostly pork, PULLED PORK? What type sauce do you prefer. I assume from that part of the country, it's a vinegar base?

Herman
08-17-2008, 10:57 AM
We don't call it "pulled pork' round these parts -its chopped -not too fine in my restaurant but chopped by hand-too old to do whole hogs now so i use fresh whole shoulders from local processing plant. of course my sauce is vinegar based-no tomato- and folks around here will send bbq with smokering back as not being done-lol
I have personally enjoyed bbq pork of many different methods of cooking and many different types of sauce but the above method is what I always serve in my restaurant.

Herman

smokin-tnpete
08-19-2008, 09:15 AM
Herman glad to see you posting.
I keep kicking around the ideal. Of getting a Concession/BBQ trailer, That way I do not have the over head of a building. And start doing this for a living. If I do I plan on buying 2 of the 1500 cxld to use in the Concession/BBQ trailer. But if the Heart Cath does not do well tomorrow. I may not be thinking that way for a while.
I may if I go ahead with this ideal. Be asking a lot of questions.
Also I have had BBQ all over your part of the country. Been about 15 years. But used to drive a truck over there a lot.
Pete

Herman
08-19-2008, 03:32 PM
Pete
Good luck with the heart cath-should not be any problem I have had 6 heart caths and still kicking BTW I purchased a concession trailer in October of 2007 in order to bypass some local bs regulations to expand my kitchen area. Its set up to be legal anywhere in the states with 1500 cxld and sp200 smokers along with 6burner stove,ansel hood, sinks,2 refrig,freezer and lots of prep area 8.5 by 20. its never been moved since I got it and we all love it.
Herman

smokin-tnpete
08-24-2008, 10:28 AM
Pete
Good luck with the heart cath-should not be any problem I have had 6 heart caths and still kicking BTW I purchased a concession trailer in October of 2007 in order to bypass some local bs regulations to expand my kitchen area. Its set up to be legal anywhere in the states with 1500 cxld and sp200 smokers along with 6burner stove,ansel hood, sinks,2 refrig,freezer and lots of prep area 8.5 by 20. its never been moved since I got it and we all love it.
Herman

Herman this was number 5 for me. But this time I have 100% blockage. It has bypassed its self. But just enough blood getting through to keep my heart healthy. But not enough to allow me to walk much. My doctor is trying to get me to use meds for a few months on it.
I am going for a second opinion Tuesday. My heart is still 100% no damage. So not sure I care to set around and wait on a heart attack.

How is the CXLD working out? If I can get back in shape. I am thinking of a 24ft or so trailer. With three 1500's in it. For one of the same reasons you did it.
But also that way I can work the events and still sell each day out of it also. We all have our dreams.. And If My health will allow. And I get me food a little better. I think I may give it a try. Can always use the trailer for church cookouts and other stuff if the health does not work out for full time. I think I can get plenty of patrons of they eat it they will come back.
Pete

robodad
08-06-2009, 09:21 AM
Hi Herman, I was reading your threads and you seem to know your way around these smokers, with years of experience. Can you tell me how easy/hard they are to keep clean? I've looked around a bit on the other posts and not seen references to this.

This aspect is sometimes the "dirty little secret" about products, ie. they look and work great at first but are a bear to clean up.

I am an avid home smoker with a small electric unit but considering going with either the 1500C or the larger 1500XLD and getting into a part time catering situation.

I know for my home unit I line the cooking grates with heavy duty foil and punch holes in that for the smoke, sometimes spraying the foil with cooking oil to prevent sticking, and then just throw that foil away at the end of the job - works well but not sure that's good practice with these smokers.

Can you comment?

Thanks - Bob in Massachusetts

admin
08-06-2009, 10:46 AM
Take a look at our cleaning and maintenance SmokinTex blog entry.
http://smokintex.com/blog/?cat=3

SmokinTex

Herman
08-27-2009, 07:09 PM
Bob
Sorry did not see your post before now. cleanup is simple I use the foil in the bottom each cook and simply throw away. wipe down the inside of cooker with damp rag and wash the racks in the sink with soap and water.

Herman