PDA

View Full Version : Break-in Load

Lng Island
05-01-2010, 05:51 PM
Ok, guys, I got my 1100 today and am burning the break-in wood for 2 hours now, and I thought there would be more smoke coming out the top than there is. The unit is definitely hot, as I set the temp at 215 as directed. Is the slight smoke normal for the break-in burn? Thanks in advance!!

Wheelz
05-01-2010, 09:22 PM
These units don't smoke much (lots of smoke inside). The top & bottom vents are just about the size of a nickel, creating a static smoke environment. That's why anywhere from 2-6 oz of wood is all you need for the entire smoke.

On that note, remember to start your first smoke with just a little wood. Easy to over-smoke, especially poultry & ribs.

Take good notes of what you do. If it's good you can replcate it. If changes need to be made, you now have a base to work from.

Good luck! :D

Deep South
05-03-2010, 11:19 AM
I had a minor explosion during my seasoning with cherry wood. The cabinet swelled slightly and expelled steam around the door frame. I'm assuming this is no big deal and might have been from an ignition of the wood chunks. :confused:

Wheelz
05-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Consider yourself initiated! :D Several theories as to why this happens. Personally, I think that because this is such a static environment, gases from the wood get concentrated then ignite. But, who knows. I've had this happen twice in eight years & heard of it happening to a lot of people. Never have heard of any damage. Keep on smokin'!