PDA

View Full Version : smoked cheese

sandro
06-14-2010, 03:33 PM
Just got my 1400 and want to cold smoke some hot pepper cheese. What is the best wood to use, temp and time wise to do it. I am going to cut it into 3 " pieces. I just seasoned the smoker for 4 hours. thanks and if you have any other ideas , let it rip.

Wheelz
06-15-2010, 10:56 AM
I don't smoke cheese often but have had good results. Below is the process.

Let me explain that I do not use the cold smoke baffle. In fact, I don't even set the cheese in the smoker. I use a small grate that came with a toaster oven, about 6" x 12". I place the cheese on the grate, place the grate over the top vent hole then cover the grate with a cardboard box. Sounds silly but it works. If at all possible, I try to NOT put any cheese directly over the vent hole (avoiding direct heat flow).

One of the keys in smoking cheese is not to allow the temp around the cheese to rise above 90*. If it does, the cheese will begin to melt. I poke my remote probe thru the cardboard box to monitor the temp.

Also note that the smoke flavor will intensify for the next 24-36 hours.

I use hickory wood. Most any wood will do. Avoid mesquite as it may turn cheese bitter. Start with a small amount and work your way up.

Cheese is very easy to do. Experiment & have fun! :D

Process:

Toss a handful of chips in the wood box
Set smoker to 150*
While wood is igniting, get a metal pan full of ice.
Once wood ignites & there’s a flow of smoke, set the pan of ice on the bottom shelf, close the door and turn the smoker off.
Set cheese on top of smoker (avoiding the vent hole) and set box over cheese.
Allow cheese to smoke for 1 hour.
Upon removal, put cheese in plastic bags and back into the fridge for at least 12 hours.

Hope this helps a little. ;)

Tampasteve
06-15-2010, 12:39 PM
Now that a rescipe to save, Good One .......

sandro
06-15-2010, 07:53 PM
WHEELZ, Thats a great idea, I will try it out, thanks

twobucks
07-11-2010, 03:59 PM
I use the cold smoke plate, put a pan of ice on the plate. I like hickory, pecan, or peach. 150 for 15 minutes, then turn it off and keep it closed for 45-60 minutes. Seal the cheese in a bag and refrigerate it overnight. Simple and tasty. Works for nuts also.