PDA

View Full Version : Use Drip Pan?

ESK
07-13-2010, 07:41 PM
I know about using foil to line the bottom of the smoker and the top of the wood box, but from some of the pictures I've seen, the grates seem to get very crusty, which looks difficult to clean. Is there any advise to put a drip pan under the meat to keep the grates cleaner? Especially if the meat has any sauce on it?
I just got my smoker today and am breaking it in. I want the first run to be successful.
Thanks!

billy b
07-13-2010, 08:00 PM
If I'm only smoking one thing, I don't use any grates under what I'm smoking, but if I'm gonna use the lower grates, I spray them good with vegetable oil spray before hand, then after I'm finished I throw them in the dishwasher. If you spray them nothing solid sticks.

Tampasteve
07-14-2010, 08:08 AM
Pam or whatever ever works real good, be sure to spray both sides of each grate used. the when your done a quick hose and a little brushing and their clean. Also I boil a pot of water to wipe down the sides,bottom, and top when done. don't use any cleaner you dont want to remove any smoke seasoning. Also I spray the holders that the racks slide in on. Any ? just post and I'm sure someone will chime in. And enjoy your ST.....Steve

BillyBob
07-14-2010, 06:17 PM
ESK,

It is recommended by SmokinTex to use the foil method. However, if you are smoking/cooking something and you want to retain the drippnigs for future use, you should put the meat in a pan to cook. I know some restaurants that use this method.

BillyBob

Wheelz
07-29-2010, 08:41 AM
First, remember this is a smoker and things are gonna get dirty. Ain't no way around that. ;) Do what you need to do to clean up & be happy.

Second, putting what you are smoking into a pan impedes the smoke flow/penetration. No smoke can get to the bottom of thee meat. If you are bent on catching drippings, put your drip pan a rack or two below.

Just a couple of thoughts...;)