PDA

View Full Version : Dry chicken

cburt
08-30-2010, 07:38 PM
I smoked a 5 plus pound roaster chicken with a thermometer probe in it until the thermometer registered 170 degrees. It took about 4 hours. The dark meet was fine but the white meat was very dry. Any suggestions on getting juicy white meat with real smoky flavor would be appreciated

Wheelz
08-30-2010, 09:50 PM
Where did you put the probe? White meat can be done at 160* while the dark meat (which takes longer) needs to go to 165*-170*. If you want guaranteed moist chicken, try brining. ;)

cburt
08-31-2010, 09:58 AM
I put the probe in the white meat. Since we have problems with salt Is there a marinade we can use to get a similar result?

Wheelz
08-31-2010, 03:29 PM
If salt is an issue I would recommend cooking "parts/pieces" as opposed to a whole chicken. Cook the breast to 160* and the dark meat to 170*. Lots of people like to marinade in Italian dressing. I don't think that moistens the chicken, just flavors it.

Try parts & see if that works for you. ;)

BillyBob
08-31-2010, 06:02 PM
You can also try injecting...I do it quite often using garlic butter or whatever.

BillyBob

cburt
09-02-2010, 10:45 AM
Have you ever tried injecting with olive oil or vegetable oil?

BillyBob
09-15-2010, 04:34 PM
cburt...sorry for not answering sooner but been sick for 3 weeks and not able to post.

No I have not tried injecting with any type of oil...I mostly use garlic butter,apple juice or bbq sauce.

BillBob

Tampasteve
09-15-2010, 06:19 PM
Now that sounds like a injectable mixture. Garlic.butter.apple juice, and BBQ sauce. Bet that can be injected give it a try and let us know.....That would be tasty. Good Luck.....Steve

cburt
09-16-2010, 12:41 PM
Hey Billy Bob I sure hope you are feeling better and are fully recovered. When I smoke a chicken I fill the cavity with raw apples and raw onion. Injecting apple juice sounds like a great idea.

BillyBob
09-16-2010, 07:12 PM
Now that sounds like a injectable mixture. Garlic.butter.apple juice, and BBQ sauce. Bet that can be injected give it a try and let us know.....That would be tasty. Good Luck.....Steve

Steve...I guess you didn't see the comma or the or. I have used each of these with great results.

BillyBob

cburt
09-26-2010, 01:45 PM
We Injected the white meat of a five pound roaster with apple juice. I put the chicken in the smoker with a Maverick thermometer in the breast. At three hours the thermometer read 160 so I decided to let it go to 165, I took it out at 165 which was three and a half hours and we had an excellent result. Next time I will take it out at 160 and see what happens.

BillyBob
09-26-2010, 02:30 PM
cburt...glad that worked for you...I like it real well.

BillyBob

Wheelz
09-26-2010, 05:03 PM
Make sure you check several places. I smoked a chick this weekend. The breast read 170* yet the thigh was only 153*. Had to leave it in for another hour. Nothing worse than under-cooked yardbird! :eek:

Lance
09-26-2010, 07:35 PM
Brining is definitely a plus when it comes to chicken. Another point is the chicken itself. A roaster 3 to 5 pounds is a bird on the older side with a little less tenderness. Look and feel the bird if you want a big one and brine it. A younger smaller bird takes less time and starts more tender which helps the process. Just cook two of them. Good luck in the efforts. Lance

twobucks
10-03-2010, 06:30 AM
cburt, did you leave the skin on the breast? That was the key for me. Keeping the fatty skin on the bird made a huge difference. When I pull the temperature probe out, the juice squirts about a foot.

smokin-tnpete
10-13-2010, 03:47 PM
Never had that issue did you open the door any?
Also try a Beer car chicken I use sprite over the beer keeps the juices going and man its good..
Pour out half the can of fluid then I put in a touch of garlic, pepper and lemon juice. Then spray the skin with cooking spray to make the skin golden brown and also that skin that you can eat.
Then set that chicken over that can allowing the can to stick up into the chicken. The fluid in the can keeps the meat moist and good.
Pete

TomKattt
10-13-2010, 08:21 PM
I put the probe in the white meat. Since we have problems with salt Is there a marinade we can use to get a similar result?
Brining is great since it makes the meat moist without adding fat and calories, but if you don't want the saly, you can use a marinade instead. There must be a million good marinade recipes. A simple thing to do is use some fresh herbs and butter or olive oil and put it under the skin. It will baste and flavor the meat as it cooks.