PDA

View Full Version : Charcoal

Chez
09-17-2010, 10:11 AM
Hi first post-and new to smoking. I keep reading about putting 1 or 2 charcoal pieces into smoker-do you add these to smoker box and is there a certain type you should use. What is the reason for this
Thanks
Larry

Tampasteve
09-17-2010, 03:40 PM
Charcoal is supposed to help produce a smoke ring on meats. I've tried it and haven't seen 1 yet.I prefer to use flavored woods instead of charcoal. Most coals dont have a good flavor. And there are specific seasoned woods for smoking application. If i was grilling and wanted a charcoal smell and taste then I would grill. Try some of the woods that are for sale here on this site. Or check around your area. If you prefer and have access to particular woods just make sure they are dry before using in your ST. Keep on trying different things and keep notes on whats good or bad and post here so we can all achieve different flavors and ideas.... Good Luck.....Steve

Wheelz
09-25-2010, 11:16 AM
I use a couple lumps of Kingsford in my smokes. Sometimes I get a smoke ring, sometimes not. Best results seems to be with beef. It's all for aesthetics. Some folks claim it ain't Q if it doesn't have a smoke ring. :rolleyes:

Lance
09-25-2010, 03:54 PM
Agree with Steve. If you want the charcoal taste find one without the chemicals added. There are several internet articles on smoke ring. Although not a specific judging criteria it is often mentioned at the judging tables. It is possible to create the ring without charcoal. Lance