PDA

View Full Version : Tasty Smoked Salmon

Jay
09-26-2010, 07:17 PM
Recently smoked a batch of King and Steelhead using the the following recipe. Everyone who tried the fish absolutely loved it!

6 pounds Salmon/Trout fillets (remove pin bones if possible) cut fillets into 2 pieces (leave skin on).
1.0 gallon water
¾ cup Kosher salt
¼ cup Dark Brown sugar
1/4 cup Clover honey
1 Table spoon granulated Garlic
1 Tablespoon Tarragon spice
1 Table Spoon Granulated Black Pepper
1 cup sweet white wine (any table wine will do)

Mix water and ingredients in a plastic container (no metal). Use a container that can be placed on a refrigerator shelve. Place fish into solution, mix well with hand and place into refrigerator for 24 hours. After 24 hours lightly rinse fillets, dry with an absorbent paper towel, and place into the refrigerator to allow the fish to “season” (about 1 hour). Remove from fridge, place fish on grate and brush with a light coat of maple syrup. Place 4 ounces of Alder in smoker box, set temperature at 170 degrees and cook for 5 and ½ hours. Remove and place fillets in fridge to cool (a second fridge is a must). Everyone who tried this batch raved about the flavor!!

Hardage
12-15-2010, 05:37 PM
Gonna try that one next.

Try this one some time to see what you think. give to me by a guy pushing 400 pounds so I tried it and it was pretty good.

To 1 quart of water add
1/2 cup canning salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp all spice

the rest of the steps are just like yours except for the coating with maple syrup.

Jay
12-27-2010, 03:01 PM
Thanks - I will try this as soon as my son can fool a couple of steelhead from the Lake!!

louis
03-16-2011, 04:12 PM
Here is an idea I think you will like.
Immediately after smoking your salmon, remove from the smoker, and cut into the size of pieces you desire. Then shrink wrap each separately with a vacumn shrink wrap device like a Food Saver. Do this while still hot. Then you can place them in the fridge or even freeze until desired.
By doing this, you will trap the moisture/steam in the meat and you will have the most tender and succulent moist smoked salmon you ever tasted.