PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning

skipper
11-14-2010, 05:47 PM
I have had my ST 1400 for a little over 3 to 3 1/2 years and I have smoked in it numerous and I loved. It does tuna beautifully.
I clean the grills every time I use the ST, but I have not cleaned the box. It nicely cured and dark brown to black. It is not flaking yet. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how often I should clean the box. Should I use soap and water, or a cleaner, Or may power washer? Are there some things I should watch out for and be careful of? Any help guys would be appreciated. Thanks

Tampasteve
11-14-2010, 07:24 PM
Don't remove all that good seasoning. After each use I boil a pot of water and just wipe down rhe inside of my STto remove any grease and thats it. I do remove all shelves and the side brackets and give them a scrubb down after each use, Be carefull and dont use any abrasive cleaner around the temp sensor. Hot water seems to do the trick for me. The seasoning is very important for the cooking process. Good Luck and enjoy your ST...Steve

Wheelz
11-20-2010, 11:03 AM
Steve is correct! Do not use anything abrasive & think real hard before using soap. Pressure washer...? :eek: NEVER!

When mine begins to flake I simply use a flimsy plastic scraper to get off the bigger flakes. I then cut a lemon into wedges and scrub the sides down & let it set for about 20 minutes. This seems to make it as "squeaky clean" as I want it without harming the seasoning. As a final step, I wipe it down with very warm water.

If you ever think you've gone too far you can always re-season.

Hope this helps...! ;)