PDA

View Full Version : Smokin Turkey Tips From SmokinTex

admin
11-21-2010, 09:37 PM
Scott Wallace shows us how to make a smokin hot turkey for your holiday feast!

See this awesome video.
SmokinTex.com (http://smokintex.com/index.html)

Hardage
11-22-2010, 08:12 PM
Where is the brine recipe he says will be posted? Looks great and I am ready to try it tomorrow so I need it asap...
Thanks!

admin
11-22-2010, 11:52 PM
This is the marinade/brine Scott Wallace used for the smoked turkey in the Smokin Turkey Tips Video

Honey Orange Marinade

2lb Bottle Honey
4-6 Oranges
3 T Salt
2 T Ground Ginger
2 t Ground Cumin
2 t Ground Mustard
1 1/2 t Ground Cloves
1/2 t Allspice

Squeeze oranges into a bowl.
Add the rest of the ingredients.
Mix well.
Massage under skin to flavor the meat.
Stand turkey in extra large bowl and pour marinade into cavity and over the skin.
Stuff squeezed oranges into cavity for more flavor.
Put in airtight bag and refrigerate up to 24 hours.
See our video for more instructions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdK-OUv8Gkk
http://smokintex.com/
Enjoy!

SmokinTex

Steven Par
12-20-2011, 04:48 PM
Do you leave the orange peels inside of turkey during smoking?
thanks
steve

BillyBob
12-20-2011, 05:26 PM
Steven...I will answer this for you...stuff as many of the orange peels as you can in there and cook with them inside....I mix oranges and onions and we love it!!!!

BillyBob

Steven Par
12-20-2011, 06:10 PM
BillyBob, Thanks for the quick reply . I am planning on smoking this Saturday and using the meat for sandwiches on Christmas day. I hope its good.

Steve

admin
12-20-2011, 08:13 PM
Thanks again BillyBob for answering for us.
And yes leave the orange peels on.
Now everybody get smokin!

BillyBob
12-20-2011, 11:40 PM
Admin...didn't mean to answer for you...I knew the question wanted to be answered quick...so I answered and forgot to tell him to leave the peels on...thanks for the help!!!

BillyBob

Steven Par
12-24-2011, 09:41 AM
Well I smoked yesterday and kinda messed up. I went fishing and figured a 10lb bird would be close to being done if I fished till dark. I started smoking at 1100 am ..225f and returned at 5pm (6hrs) and the internal temp of the breast was at 174. It was ok but dry. The only flavor I was getting was from the cumin. There was no moisture left insde the bird at all. With my old homemade smoker I always had to tip and dump the juice out from inside of the bird and that is after smoking until the red poppers had popped which I believe is 180...anyway it was my fault for being tardy. I will try again and hopefully be around when we hit the 165 f mark.
If I use this marinade recipe again I will cut back on the honey and juice for a 10 lb bird. I had way more than enough and it cost a fortune to mix up...honey is expensive in small town Iowa....I will probably stick with my plain old salt brine recipe......1lb of salt to I gallon of of water...soak at least 24 hours...rinse well the next day and smoke!

Steve

Bwalk76
06-21-2012, 10:01 PM
Does anyone else have any turkey recipes/tips/etc? The mother in law wants me to smoke a turkey and I want to make sure that I get it right on the first try.....

SmokeRing
06-21-2012, 11:05 PM
I'll be Smokin a turkey tomorrow. I won't be doing anything fancy with the seasoning, just seasoning salt and course black pepper. My turkeys always turn out juicy. 250 @ 35 to 45 minutes per pound. (Max). I'll show some q-views tomorrow.

Bwalk76
06-22-2012, 09:12 AM
SkokeRing.... Looking forward to seeing how that turkey turns out!

SmokeRing
06-22-2012, 03:01 PM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v78-mP82cEs

I have to say that this was one of the juiciest turkeys I have smoked yet. Damn. Was it guuuuuudddddddd!

BillyBob
06-22-2012, 08:05 PM
I can't seem to be able to access this?

BillyBob

SmokeRing
06-22-2012, 08:18 PM
Try this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=v78-mP82cEs

I posted the first one from my mobile. This one is from the desktop.

BillyBob
06-22-2012, 10:16 PM
That worked...looks good!!

BillyBob

DReeves
06-26-2012, 10:42 AM
Bwalk,

I smoked a turkey last fall, using Scott's honey-orange brine. What a beautiful bird! Here is the recipe, to save you a minute scrolling up ;)

Honey Orange Marinade

2lb Bottle Honey
4-6 Oranges
3 T Salt
2 T Ground Ginger
2 t Ground Cumin
2 t Ground Mustard
1 1/2 t Ground Cloves
1/2 t Allspice

Squeeze oranges into a bowl.
Add the rest of the ingredients.
Mix well.
Massage under skin to flavor the meat.
Stand turkey in extra large bowl and pour marinade into cavity and over the skin.
Stuff squeezed oranges into cavity for more flavor.
Put in airtight bag and refrigerate up to 24 hours.

Bwalk76
06-26-2012, 06:11 PM
Thanks DReeves.... I plan on using that recipe and hopefully it doesn't turn out like Clark Griswolds turkey in Christmas Vacation. Mother in law wouldn't be happy:(

http://youtu.be/Spmqbs8YCW8

DReeves
06-27-2012, 04:19 PM
Classic, Bwalk! Love this movie!

Thanks for the chuckle :)

Bwalk76
07-23-2012, 10:47 AM
All I can say is WOW, I smoked my first turkey yesterday, 10 pounds and it was by far the best turkey I have ever tasted. Lets just say the mother-father in law were very happy with the finished product, they commented for hours on how moist it was.

I did a two part brine for 48 hours, for the first 24 hours I used salt, brown sugar, garlic, and water brine. I then drained and added apple juice, fresh sqeezed OJ and let that sit for 24hrs. Then used a rub for under the skin and on top and injected with butter, garlic powder, chicken broth and let marinate for several hours.

After spraying the turkey with Pam, I turned the ST on to 250, the bird took about 6 hours to get to 165 and then I let it rest for about 20 minutes.

I cant wait for leftovers today for lunch!

johnfred01
08-09-2012, 12:42 AM
Hello friends how r u all i am new here and i want to get more information about smokers products.

DReeves
08-09-2012, 07:13 AM
Welcome, Johnfred01,

You have come to the right place for information and answers. Many questions are answered by reading through the forum. If you have a specific question, please feel free to ask.

You will find that the group here are BBQ enthusiasts, and our passion and love for all things smoked is evident. Especially strong is our love of SmokinTex.

Enjoy!

DaaBoss
02-04-2013, 10:37 AM
Results:
I finally pulled it our since it was time to eat. BOTH probes showed only about 165. But, the breast was completely done, and MOISTER and better than any dark meat I or my guests had ever had. Although I cut the breast, it was almost too tender to cut, reminding me of pulled pork. Only the skin was not tender enough to be great, (as it generally is with a chicken).

-- 18 LB Butterball without soaking.
-- Dry rub over and under the skin (see video this site for how): garlic, salt, pepper, cajun spice (Never had "too spicy" complaints)
-- BREAST side down, legs tucked in the skin flap
-- 2 probes --- breast and thigh
-- Placed on highest possible normal rack, sideways,
-- Pan under turkey on a lower rack to catch drips for gravy
-- 10 oz of hickory
-- 225 for 15 hours Both probes only reached about 165 degrees.

Serving:
I had to leave the turkey on the rack with pan under it to dismember it, as it would have fallen apart to pick it up whole. I totally de-bone, and arrange white/dark meat on a platter, tossing the bones in a handy trash can as I go. Guests waste less, take only the kind of meat they want, and can take or leave the skin.

Gravy:
I started with a pre-heated pint of rue that I had already made and frozen a year before. When the turkey was done, it only took 5-10 minutes to make great rue-based gravy. I mixed in all the juices from the pan, added cream or half and half to thin to appropriate thickness, and served.

EASY and bulletproof RUE, which can be pre-frozen:
Use a DRY non-stick pan and non-scatch spatula. One cup of flour over medium heat. Continue to stir, scraping the bottom and mixing it in with the unheated flour, (it doesn't stick much, but this is the key). All the flour will start to turn light brown and smell like popcorn. There will be a very light smoke, but not much. The flour becomes more course and seems to stick in very small clumps as it cooks. Use a bright light because the light brown will darken considerably when wet. When done to your specs, turn down the heat. Add EITHER 1 stick of butter (1/4 Lb), or equivalent amount of olive oil. Mix/cook it in, seasoning with salt and pepper. The rue will be much darker now, even without cooking. (Slightly browning the butter can be done now.) You can either thin it out now, or freeze it. To thin, add 2-3 times as much water-based liquid.

Why DRY rue??
This method avoids sticking and smoking with the high heat required to brown the flour when the oil is used. Browning occurs in only about 60 seconds when oil and flour are combined, making it very hard to control. When flour is browned with this dry method, it is easy to control the degree of browning over 5-10 minutes.

dei08dei
11-22-2013, 02:49 PM
Lots of good info. Couple of questions.
1. Do you plan on the bird cooking for 40 or 50 minutes a pound?
2. When finished are the temps 165 degrees for the breast and 180 for the thigh?
Sorry for asking what has probably been asked 100times before.

DReeves
11-22-2013, 03:05 PM
Lots of good info. Couple of questions.
1. Do you plan on the bird cooking for 40 or 50 minutes a pound?
2. When finished are the temps 165 degrees for the breast and 180 for the thigh?
Sorry for asking what has probably been asked 100times before.

Questions are great! This is how we learn!

165 for the entire bird. I generally go for 160 in the breast, knowing that the bird will continue to rise an additional 5 degrees F while resting under foil.

Here is a great article for reference: http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/chicken_turkey_duck/ultimate_smoked_turkey.html?utm_source=2013-11-19&utm_campaign=Nov+2013&utm_medium=email

You can plan on 45 minutes per pound, but it's best to go by internal temp. We want everyone returning for Thanksgiving next year. Well, almost everyone ;)

dei08dei
11-22-2013, 05:51 PM
Questions are great! This is how we learn!

165 for the entire bird. I generally go for 160 in the breast, knowing that the bird will continue to rise an additional 5 degrees F while resting under foil.

Here is a great article for reference: http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/chicken_turkey_duck/ultimate_smoked_turkey.html?utm_source=2013-11-19&utm_campaign=Nov+2013&utm_medium=email

You can plan on 45 minutes per pound, but it's best to go by internal temp. We want everyone returning for Thanksgiving next year. Well, almost everyone ;)

Thanks for the FAST reply. Better than FedEx!

tdibill
11-23-2013, 10:09 AM
Recipe here calls for an internal temp of 180 in breast:
http://www.smokintex.com/Recipes/Recipes_Cherryturkey.html

That seems very high to me and would lead to a dryer bird. Has anyone tried this and let the bird get this warm? Was it moist?

dei08dei
11-24-2013, 01:14 AM
Is there a specific dry rub to use under the skin with the marinade? Or will the dry rub wash away when submerged? (Unless applied after it comes out of the marinade bag). I am going all-out this Thanksgiving and want to make sure I forget nothing!
Thanks for the reply.

admin
11-24-2013, 02:13 PM
tdibill,
We have corrected the internal temp of the smoked turkey breast to 170F. Thanks for calling that to our attention.

dei08dei
11-26-2013, 06:30 PM
Is there a specific dry rub to use under the skin with the marinade? Or will the dry rub wash away when submerged? (Unless applied after it comes out of the marinade bag). I am going all-out this Thanksgiving and want to make sure I forget nothing!
Thanks for the reply.

Is there a dry rub to use with the marinade???

dei08dei
11-28-2013, 12:55 AM
Does anyone know, do you rinse the brine off prior to smoking the turkey?

dei08dei
11-28-2013, 06:34 AM
Disaster. It is currently 3:25am. Both temp probes are showing 172degrees. The 18 pound turkey has been on for only 4.5 hours! How can this be? It was set at 225 degrees. I have turned it down to 150 degrees but we are not suppose to eat for another 9 hours. Thanksgiving shot!!! I am going to turn it back up to 225 and cook it for the original planned time. I am so screwed.

DReeves
11-28-2013, 08:10 AM
First, you may be ok. If my cook finishes early, I grab an ice chest, fill it with hot water. This heats up the inside. After 30 minutes, pour out the water. Place some old towels in the bottom.

Place your bird in an aluminum pan, covered in foil. This should hold temp for several hours. This method can also help preserve juiciness.

DReeves
11-28-2013, 08:11 AM
To answer your first question, yes, rinse your bird after brining. Pat dry with paper towels.

dei08dei
11-28-2013, 09:31 AM
Any idea why it was done so fast?

bigwalleye
11-28-2013, 10:39 AM
Where were the temp probes in the bird? Did you verify with another thermometer in the breast? How big was the bird? How long had you cooked it when you posted at 3 am?
More info will help diagnose or save the bird.

DReeves
11-28-2013, 12:49 PM
What BigWalleye said ;)

dei08dei
11-28-2013, 01:29 PM
Where were the temp probes in the bird? Did you verify with another thermometer in the breast? How big was the bird? How long had you cooked it when you posted at 3 am?
More info will help diagnose or save the bird.

One in the breast and one in the thigh. Did not verify breast temp. Bird was 18lbs. It has been cooking just over 4 hours.Thanks for the reply.

DReeves
11-28-2013, 01:45 PM
I think you will be ok. Some birds cook faster than others.

dei08dei
11-28-2013, 08:51 PM
How do you plan a meal when you hear 30-45 minutes a pound. You expect it to take about 13 hours and it takes 4.5 hours? We trashed the turkey. It was burned.

bigwalleye
11-29-2013, 10:22 AM
A few more questions. Not trying to beat a dead horse, but to see if we can help prevent further issues.
Did you have a temp probe in the cabinet itself? You can search this site for the procedure to verify the cabinet temp. It sounds as if the cabinet temp may be significantly higher than the dial position indicates. How new is the smoker? Did you inject the bird or not? I assume the bird was not stuffed. Correct?
4.5 hours sounds extremely short to me for that size bird.

DReeves
11-29-2013, 11:13 AM
I must admit, I am at a loss of words. I believe bigwalleye is on to something. I am interested in hearing about cabinet temp.

And if you did not measure cabinet (smoker) temp during the cook, maybe you could try it empty. No, not the same as having an 18 lb bird in the box, but might show what is going on with the thermostat.

Also, what size smokintex do you have?

Thanks.

dei08dei
11-29-2013, 11:32 AM
Model 1400. I am going to clean the probe and take cabinet temps. Gotta try something. Let you know what numbers I get. Thanks for your help.

DReeves
11-29-2013, 03:18 PM
We are always here to help. We have all been there, when a cook took longer (or faster) than expected.

bigwalleye
11-29-2013, 03:54 PM
I've given this some more thought. All I can think of is the temp knob is not calibrated to the actual temp, which the probe test you're going to run will answer, or the probes were too far in and actually were nearer the inside of the bird, giving erroneous temps.

You said the bird was "burned". Did you cut the bird open or not? Was the skin burned or was the meat burned/charred? Makes me suspect a temp issue.
Any smoke leakage out of the box with the door closed? Reason I ask is folks generally indicate the skin is rubbery and not "done" when the bird is cooked through. If it's truly burned, make me think "temp problem". Reason I asked if you'd cut it: A very high cabinet temp and charred skin would suggest the inner or center breast meat may not be done, which would again suggest a temp issue.

Keep in mind you will see some variation +/- your set temp. In other words, a 225 setting will likely NOT yield 225 constant, usually more like your oven in the house, 225 is the average, and the thermocouple will turn the unit on/off to regulate the temp, so a 225 setting may run like 210 on the low side, and I'd expect it to be 245 on the high side, but the average will be about 225.Please keep track of the temp and variations as you run your test.

dei08dei
11-29-2013, 04:52 PM
Skin was black. Meat was very, very dry, dark as well as white meat. No leakage around the door. I have been checking the smoker for the last three hours at 30 minute intervals. Smoker set to 225 degrees. Outside air temp between 61-63 degrees. At 11am, probe #1 (front of smoker) 257 degrees, probe #2, (rear or smoker) 255 degrees, 11:30 am probe 1, 230 degrees, probe 2, 243 degrees, 12:00, probe 1, 221 degrees, probe 2, 242 degrees, 12:30pm, probe 1, 215 degrees, probe 2, 227 degrees, 1:00 pm, probe 1, 219 degrees, probe 2, 232 degrees, 1:30 pm, probe1, 217 degrees, probe 2, 217 degrees. From what I am reading it seems right where it should be. So we may be looking at operator error??? I figured after 5 years I would have this ALMOST figured out but maybe not. Shoot me now!!!

DReeves
11-29-2013, 05:52 PM
No need to shoot a good cook.... you have many good smokes left in ya :p

Look at the bright side.... at least you know your smoker is working as it should! Mark this up to experience, that's all.

dei08dei
11-29-2013, 07:35 PM
I wish I knew what I did wrong?

bigwalleye
11-29-2013, 09:51 PM
I think I have figured out what you did wrong...NOTHING.

Temps appear fine, technique appears fine, smoker appears fine.

On the bright side, it does appear you win the "stunp the fool" game! I think you did it exactly as I would have, as well as many others.
Only thing I can figure is it was an "old" bird, one that didn't have much fat on it (dry), causing a lot faster cook. Probably not much of a consolation, but I'm fresh out of ideas. Thought you said an 18 lber, which would play into the theory.

I would, though, encourage you to try again, perhaps with a smaller bird, just to prove to yourself that it really sn't you.