PDA

View Full Version : Smoked duck

luke clayton
12-14-2010, 11:54 AM
Outdoors writer Luke Clayton here. When it comes to the preparing wild duck, there are a kazillion opinions. Ever have someone (maybe yourself) say, "duck taste just like liver, can't STAND it!". I have heard this many times and wild duck IF served rare and unmarinated, CAN taste like liver.
HERE IS HOW TO ASSURE IT TASTE GREAT:

It's the blood in duck that can give it the 'off' flavor. Begin by breasting the 2 breast halves, then butterfly (cut almost through) each breast half. Marinate in a 50-50 soloution of coke and soy sauce for 4 to 6 hours. This is the very best method I have used and, I've tried them all.
Dust the dust breast half with a little garlic powder, place a sliver of jalapeno in the center and then wrap tightly with a good bacon. Secure with toothpicks.
Place in your Smokin Texas at 225 degrees with a little pecan or fruitwood for 3 hours or until much of the fat of the bacon has melted. Allow to cool and serve with rice.
I can guarantee you this does NOT taste like liver and the smoke flavor your Smokin Tex imparts makes it especially tasty.
GOOD DUCK HUNTING AND EATING!

Hardage
12-15-2010, 06:17 PM
Have you ever tried marinating in "Brianna's Vinagrette" then using the same technique you describe? I have used this one with several kinds of birds with great luck. Have not tried duck yet but will do some side by side to see.

I am a displaced Texan now up in Wisconsin freezing to death but still doing some BBQ even in the blizzards.

Joe

luke clayton
12-16-2010, 09:37 PM
Have not tried it. To be truthful, the Coke and Soy sauce is a longtime favorite. The acid in the cola blended with the flavor and salt of the soy sauce works great on duck and I've used it on geese as well.
For geese, try butterflying the breast halves, then rolling a good spicy country sausage into hot dog size pieces. Place the raw sausage inside the goose breast, wrap in bacon and smoke at 225 for about 4 hours. VERY TASTY! Merry Christmas and stay warm up there in the north country!

Hardage
12-19-2010, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the sausage tip. Have not tried that one. Usually after a Canada goose hunt the big problem is trying to get someone to take the birds from you so you don't let them waste...this recipe might make me take them home again!

basscat
02-10-2011, 03:13 PM
I will testify to Luke's method here. Luke, Phil let me try some smoked duck at work a couple of weeks ago, and this is how he prepared it.

I'll tell you what, I'd just as soon have duck breast lone like this as a big ole Ribeye, and for me, that's saying A LOT.