PDA

View Full Version : Foil wrapping brisket

Hardage
12-19-2010, 05:18 PM
I have a question about foil wrapping briskets once they have reached the "stall" at around 160 to get them through it and get the temp climbing again.
I did a brisket that I started Saturday night at 9 that was seasoned and marinated my usual way. I let it go all night at 250 and checked it at 6 a.m. and it was at the 160 stall and was still there at 8 a.m.. So I foil wrapped it and about two hours later or so...it was sitting at 195. I unwrapped and let it sit back on the pit until I hit about 198 then I rewrapped and put it in a ice chest for two hours.

The point chopped up nice and was tender but the flat was not quite tender as usual.

So this was the first time I had wrapped in foil to get through the connective tissue breakdown temp stall and the results were not good. A big bummer after all that work...
Temp probe was in the flat and pit was at 230-250 range the whole cook.
Ideas...thoughts on if it was just the particular brisket...I have used this meat shop before with good luck.

Joe

Chef Wil
12-19-2010, 05:36 PM
Hardage, honestly and Im speaking from my own experience, I would foil a brisket using other cookers but using the Smokin Tex, being its so well insulated I dont see a reason to foil. I cooked a brisket as my second cook on the ST and cooked it to an internal of 193 and I had no problem with it. Just my opinion.

BillyBob
12-20-2010, 06:22 PM
Joe...sorry it wasn't great...I don't foil mine and cook to 195-205 internal and they are great. Remember...we never get two that come out the same.

BillyBob

Hardage
12-20-2010, 10:41 PM
Well...my wife said it was just probably a bum brisket and I guess so. First one I have had that was chewy. Next time I will do a fork test and just keep cooking it until it is burned up or tender whichever comes first.

did some spareribs right after pulling the brisket off and they were great so I didn't feel like a total loser. The rib tips were the best part and taught me once again never to spend extra mone to buy true St. Louis cut and miss out on the rib tips.