PDA

View Full Version : Brisket

JenBen
12-30-2010, 11:48 AM
I have a Smo-Kit, small propane smoker I received from my brother. There is only directions with it for smoking fish. Can I smoke/cook a brisket in it, or is it advisable. Or do I just get the smoke flavor from the smo=kit and finish it elsewhere?

brewmaster
12-30-2010, 12:28 PM
JenBen as long as you can control the temperature you should be able to cook with it also. Can you regulate the temperature? My brother has a propane smoker and he cooks it it along with smoking.

JenBen
12-30-2010, 01:16 PM
Thank you for your response Brewmaster. Low, Med and High are the only control I have. No visiable thermometer. 2 racks. so I can put it closer to or farther away from heat source and smoke tray.

brewmaster
12-30-2010, 01:32 PM
You can buy a temperature gage with a probe, this is what I use when smoking/cooking. You want to cook your brisket between 200-225 degrees. I believe that your smoke is liquid propane, correct? Don't know how long it will keep cooking you may want to experiment. Usuallly when I smoke/cook a brisket it takes 6-8 hours depending on what temperature you use and how large your brisket ir.

BillyBob
12-30-2010, 11:50 PM
JenBen...I agree with Brewmaster. Get you a temperature probe to check the temperature of the bristet and cook it to about 175 to 190 for slicing and 195 to 205 for pulling...wrap in foil and then in a towel and rest for one hour +. JMO.

What are you going to use for smoke?

BillyBob