PDA

View Full Version : A Thank You & A First Smoke

DavidJ3d
12-31-2010, 05:48 PM
Just want to say thanks to Scott and the whole SmokinTex "family" for a great product. My wife wanted to give me a smoker for Christmas and we had decided on the Bradley Digital 4 rack. I picked one up locally and when I went to season it discovered the heating element was defective. I took it back, got a refund, and after an evening of research decided to get a different brand.

We contacted Scott and arranged to pick one up. Long story short I am now the happy owner of a 1400 and have just finished smoking a couple of chickens. My wife and father-in-law are as pleased as I am with the results. Since I always see people ask, all I did in preparation was wash them, pat them dry, sprinkle with a little McCormick Chicken seasoning inside and out and put them in the unit. I used 4oz of pecan chips and cooked them at 250 until the digital thermometer read 170.

I only managed to snag a picture on one of them because they smelled so good we cut one up and started in on it right away. They came out golden brown, juicy as could be with a nice smoke flavor.

I am thrilled with my smoker and look forward to years of use and participation here on the forums.388

BillyBob
01-01-2011, 08:55 AM
DaviJ3d....nice lookin bird...looks like you are on your way to some great cookin!!!!:D

BillyBob

Kaz
01-02-2011, 02:48 PM
DavidJ3d. Your chicken looks wonderful and imagine it tastes even better. I have just put a brisket in my 1400. It's not a big one so I won't need to leave it in over night. We did 2 11# turkeys for TDay and they were a HUGE success. It was our first attempt using our smoker. So, now we are anxiously awaiting results of our maiden brisket run. LOL This unit is amazing. I'm quite taken aback at the small amount of wood needed to smoke large hunks of meat. I looked at those Bradley smokers but decided that there was too much of a chance for a breakdown. All those moving parts to feed pricey disks of pressed wood. I wanted something simple but with a long-lived smoker. I am quite thankful that I found this brand and am tickled pink over it. Tomorrow night our daughter and her family will be over to sample our brisket. I'm smoking an 8#er and figure to take it out about 8 1/2 hours. That should take care of it nicely. If anyone is popping in and thinks this isn't long enough or TOO long, please post your thoughts on the length of cooking time. This woman is SO pleased to not have to tend a barrel smoker ALL day long trying to maintain a proper temp. No more of that discomfort for 10 to 12 hours out side feeding split logs into the fire box. OMG, I LOVE THIS SMOKER!

DavidJ3d
01-02-2011, 05:10 PM
Kaz-

I smoked a brisket yesterday as my second smoking session. Don't have a picture of that but it came out great. Mine was a 5.25lb and I put it on yesterday about noon at 190 with my digital probe set to 190. About 10:30 last night it was at 175 and I turned the heat up to 200 to finish it off the last 15 degrees. It hit 190 at 12:30 I took it out and wrapped it in foil and left it on the counter for about 45 minutes. Then I trimmed the fat and sliced off a little bit. It was so good it was hard to restrain myself from waking the whole family and making them try some.

So, this is all to say that while I am by no means an expert, I think 8lbs in 8.5 hours might not be long enough. I would recommend using a good digital thermometer with a probe you can feed down through the vent hole and cook to an internal temp of about 190.

Good luck.