PDA

View Full Version : First Pork Shoulder

DavidJ3d
01-11-2011, 11:00 AM
Here is my first pork shoulder. It was 7.5 lbs pre-cooked weight. I used a store bought rub and smoked it with 3oz of pecan for about 12 hours (to internal temp of 190). Unfortunately it did not finish until after I should have already left for work this morning (for any doubters about cold weather smoking, it smoked all night last night with a low temp of about 20deg) so I had to wrap it in foil and go ahead and refrigerate it.

I am planning on re-heating it in the foil in order to pull it tonight when I get home. Anyone had to do it this way before? What internal temp should I reheat to for the purposes of pulling? I do not mind it taking a while cause I can be cooking the sauce while it reheats....

BillyBob
01-11-2011, 06:43 PM
DavidJ3d...try putting it the oven at 300 for 2hrs...check internal and add 1hr until you get it where you want it. That's what I do.

BillyBob

DavidJ3d
01-11-2011, 11:27 PM
BillyBob did as you suggested and it basically just fell apart in my hands.

Tampasteve
01-18-2011, 07:51 AM
David, A picture is worth a thousand words. Looks very good. Enjoy your ST,,,,Steve

ctimmer
01-26-2011, 07:42 PM
Here is my first pork shoulder. It was 7.5 lbs pre-cooked weight. I used a store bought rub and smoked it with 3oz of pecan for about 12 hours (to internal temp of 190). Unfortunately it did not finish until after I should have already left for work this morning (for any doubters about cold weather smoking, it smoked all night last night with a low temp of about 20deg) so I had to wrap it in foil and go ahead and refrigerate it.

I am planning on re-heating it in the foil in order to pull it tonight when I get home. Anyone had to do it this way before? What internal temp should I reheat to for the purposes of pulling? I do not mind it taking a while cause I can be cooking the sauce while it reheats....

David,
I regularly smoke pork butts in cold weather that have taken 15 hours or more. It is a common practice to smoke for 3-4 hours and finish cooking in your oven. This also makes it easier to the time it's done.
Note the grease stalactite under the smoker.

Curt

BillyBob
01-26-2011, 07:48 PM
ctimmer....I have never seen grease do that before...that's wild lookin!!!

BillyBob

DavidJ3d
01-27-2011, 11:50 AM
Curt-

Is that just a temperature probe on top of your ST or did you add separate digital controller or PID?

I have seen a little discussion of using something like the DigiQ for better temp control and was just wondering if that was what I was seeing.

That greasecicle is crazy..

Thanks,

DJ

ctimmer
01-27-2011, 06:54 PM
Curt-

Is that just a temperature probe on top of your ST or did you add separate digital controller or PID?

I have seen a little discussion of using something like the DigiQ for better temp control and was just wondering if that was what I was seeing.

That greasecicle is crazy..

Thanks,

DJ

Yes I did add a PID controller. Keeps the temperature range lower.

Curt

Doc
05-30-2012, 02:48 PM
All I can say is "WOW".:eek: