PDA

View Full Version : Yet another new 1400

BAnonymous
01-14-2011, 10:26 AM
Yesterday I picked up my new ST 1400 from the fine folks at Smokin Tex. My 2-year old Masterbuilt failed me miserably by gaving up the ghost on Thanksgiving just before I put the turkey. I was contemplating fixing the d**n thing but I ran into Scott and his crew at the Dallas Safari Club Convention last week end and convinced myself that the MB had to go out to the curb on heavy trash day. Scott gave me a deal on the cart so I splurged.

I got everyting put together last night. Very well packed I might add. and set it out on the deck. So....... My Question:

I plan to season the smoker tonight when I get home with the wood blocks that were provided. It came with 6 large blocks about the width of the firebox. These chunks look larger than the 4 chunks (or about 8 oz) in the owners manual. Do I burn all six at once or burn 3 now and three later? I don't have a scale and I can't judge the weight that well. Any advise?

Blane

BillyBob
01-14-2011, 07:27 PM
BAnonymous...the more you use....the better it will season...just my opinion a(JMO)

BillyBob

twobucks
01-15-2011, 05:32 AM
I would use three blocks twice.

Tampasteve
01-15-2011, 08:55 AM
BA first of all WELCOME to the ST Smokin family. You can use all the wood at once and smoke away. Get that puppy seasoned and put some good ole fat pork in it and go to town. Keep good notes and post your findings here, everyone will be glad to chime in with any issues or questions. Enjoy it...Steve

BAnonymous
01-15-2011, 06:21 PM
I called Smokin Tex and talked with Robin. She recommended just using 4 pieces and toss the other two which is exactly what I did. Everything seemed to season nicely.

I'm an 1-1/2 hours into cooking a couple of chicken halves rubbed with a brown sugar and chipotle rub we've used before. The chicken temp seemed to climb a little faster than expected and may be ready sooner than expected. I might have positioned the thermometer wrong in the breast. I'll take it up to 170* and see what happens. I'm using apple wood and cooking at 225*

Can't wait.

BAnonymous
01-15-2011, 10:11 PM
Well the first bird came out of the smoker and it wasn't bad at all. The only thing I would do differently would be to use less wood chips. The bird was a little too smokey. I should have used one hand full rather than two. Lessons learned..... one hand full of chips is about 2 oz of wood.

Now on to the next project.

BillyBob
01-15-2011, 10:45 PM
Good luck in the future....using wood chunks and wood chips are quite different...the wood chips will cook faster giving shorter but stronger smoke. The chunks will burn slower with a milder smoke(just based on my cooks).

BillyBob