PDA

View Full Version : brisket selection

Whackem'
01-14-2011, 04:37 PM
Does it matter much if I buy a whole untrimmed 18lb or a "Nose off" 8lb brisket? Most butcher shops don't carrry the whole untrimmed briskets' b/c meat houses sell them by the case. Instead, they mostly offer the trimmed 6-8 lb'rs. Will this cut result in a moist, juicy brisket or should I spend the extra money on a larger one?

BillyBob
01-14-2011, 07:32 PM
Whackem'...the trimmed 6-8 will be fine...the secret is the seasoning and the cook to temp. I cook mine to 190 internal for slicing and 200-205 for pulling.

BillyBob

kndrcop
01-17-2011, 10:21 AM
I bought a 13.44 pound packer brisket at Restaurant Depot, I trimmed the fat on top to about 1/4 inch, I also cut off the fat in between the point. I found a recipe to rub brisket with mustard,sprinkle with Worcestershire sauce and rub in. I then added my favorite rub and wrapped in plastic wrap and set in Fridge over night. I need the Brisket for a Football part on Sunday at 2:30 so I had to time it right. When I went to put the brisket on the Smokin Tex it was too big. I had to cut it in half. The fattyer and thicker end I placed near bottom and the thinner piece of brisket I placed near top. I placed about 4-5 ounces of hickory and I placed 3 Kingsford charcoal pices in box, someone said this will help with smoke ring. I put brisket on Saturday evening at 8:30pm at 225. By 12pm the next day it was stalling at 180. I decided to wrap in foil for 1, 1/2 hours another BBQ tip I received. At 1:45 I pulled the brisket pieces out after checking temp. they were at 195. I double wrapped in foil and then wrapped in thick towels. Placed in cooler and took to party, when I took brisket out of cooler at 6pm they were pipping hot, nice 1/8 inch smoke ring, sliced up nice, served with BBQ sauce, Cole Slaw on rolls, It came out great for the first time. People raved about it..
Only problem I had was I have an Oregon Scientific wireless thermometer, the only problem with it the temparature for beef only goes up to 170. when meat hits 170 the thermometer beeps and locks at 170, it will not allow the temperature to continue higher. I had to use a regular meat thermometer to get my readings. I just ordered the Maverick 73 doual thermometer, hopefully this will help. Good luck to everyone else out there, it takes time but the outcome is well worth it. Thanks to everyone on the forum that helped...

BillyBob
01-17-2011, 03:00 PM
kndrcop...nice...sounds like you had some fine brisket!!:D

BillyBob

kndrcop
01-17-2011, 06:51 PM
Thanks BillyBob, it was very good, nervous for my first time. next time I will buy a smaller brisket that will fit inside my 1400. going to try pork butt for pulled pork this weekend. This is alot of fun...:)

BillyBob
01-17-2011, 10:29 PM
Kndrcop...you will love the pork butts these things cook...just be sure to cook by temp and not time.:);)

BillBob