PDA

View Full Version : please help me cook a good brisket

Qmanpackma
01-27-2011, 08:49 AM
I have tried twice to cook a brisket. They both have come out drier than I see on videos. Whereas the second one was better, Could someone give me a good recipe from start to finish. I have sucklebusters rub and BBQ sauce. Thank you

BillyBob
01-27-2011, 06:13 PM
Qmanpacma...I usually inject and rub mine the night before. I make my own rub and usually I inject with Tony Chachere's Creole butter or Cajun Injector Hot N Spicy Butter or make my own injection.
Try this:

1) Smoke at 225-250
2) Use a temp gauge to measure internal temp of meat
3) If you are going to slice...cook to 170-180
4) If you are going to pull ...cook to 190-205
5) Pull...wrap in foil and a heavy towel for 30-60min
Remove and enjoy...works for me!!
(DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR)

BillyBob

billy b
01-28-2011, 12:02 AM
The temp gauge should be inserted into the flat, not the point.

brewmaster
01-28-2011, 06:21 PM
Qmanpackma....I agree with BillyBob, this should produce a quality brisket.

skooter6
01-07-2013, 01:49 PM
I used to have the same problem with brisket. The key to a moist brisket is after smoking for 4 hours, I wrap it in foil and smoke for another 4 hours. The foil will help retain moisture

DReeves
01-11-2013, 06:50 AM
Skooter6,

I highly recommend you getting a thermometer. Time won't cut it, internal cooking temp does.

Idaho Jjoh
01-11-2013, 12:05 PM
I think one of the biggest mistakes made with brisket is not getting the packer cut. If you just get the flat, it will dry out real easy. Make sure you are getting a packer cut (usually runs about 12 to 15 lbs). It has the big fat cap on it. Also, make sure it flexable. If it is stiff, don't buy it.

DReeves
01-16-2013, 07:33 AM
To add to the excellent points by Idaho Jjoh:

When looking for brisket, go for choice or better. You and your guests will be grateful you did.

Also, and don't laugh.... but I look for a left-sided brisket. With the fat side down, cap at the top, look to see which way the flat is pointing. Look for a flat pointing down and to the right.

Why? I'm glad you asked. The story is that a calf, in the field, will use his right side to stand up, more often than his left side. Hence, the muscle on the left is a little more tender than on a right-sided brisket.

I know, I know. Sounds like a tall tale, and that's probably what it is. But I have performed non-scientific tests on brisket in the store, and the ones pointing down and to the right have been more flexible than the one's pointing to the left.

Besides, it makes a great story to tell your guests when they ask what your secret is to your great brisket.

DReeves
01-16-2013, 07:37 AM
A quick search on the net will yield more than one response.... here is one for your reading pleasure:

http://www.bbqsearch.com/search/101390.html