PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Adapting a Recipe

DavidJ3d
01-27-2011, 08:16 PM
I have about a 12lb pork shoulder I am planning on smoking in the next couple of days. I have previously used a recipe I found online that works well on a stick-burner setup. I know some of you have come to the ST smokers from that tradition and wondered if you had any thoughts on adapting the technique. Here are the instructions for a traditional smoker:

Prepare smoker; heat to 300 degrees F. Place the pork shoulder in the smoker. Place a cast iron skillet underneath the pork filled 3/4 of the way with flat beer. Add more beer as it evaporates. Cook for about 2 hours.

When the internal temperature of the pork reaches 150 degrees F, reduce the temperature of the smoker to 225 degrees F and cook for an additional 3 hours. When the internal temperature of the pork reaches 175 degrees F, reduce the temperature of the smoker to 210 degrees F, and continue to cook the pork until it reaches an internal temperature of 190 degrees F.

So..how different do you all think the performance of the pork will be if I start at the max 250 and keep everything else the same? I am all about experimenting so I will let you know whatever I decide to do but thought I would ask to see if any of you have made adjustments to this type of technique already.

Thanks,

DJ

BillyBob
01-27-2011, 09:39 PM
DJ...this may not be what you want to hear...but...I would put it on at 250 and cook until you reach your internal temp. I would cook to 200-205 for pulling...wrap in foil and let it rest for at least 1 hr. JMO

BillyBob

billy b
01-28-2011, 12:00 AM
^^^what he said.

brewmaster
01-28-2011, 06:44 PM
DavidJ3d.....I agree with BillyBob, the name of the game is long and low slow heat. This will give you a tender/moist pork shoulder. My experience in smoking is when you smoke/cook at a high temperature it will cause the meat to become tough unless you wrap it in foil. Even with that depending on the cut of meat it still could become tough/chewy. I am assuming that the flat beer provides the moisture however with the ST, the smoke provides that already. If it's for flavor I would inject the shoulder with some sort of liquid marinade.

Hope this helps.

BillyBob
01-28-2011, 08:19 PM
Brewmaster...thanks for adding the part about injecting...I forget to add that sometimes...it is automatic for me. I had someome question me injecting chicken once.:D

BillyBob

brewmaster
01-30-2011, 11:49 AM
Yes Billybob, I rarely smoke large cuts of meat or poultry without some sort of injection, this is the only way that you can add flavor though-out the cut of meat. Again this is my opinion, everyone is different.