PDA

View Full Version : Long smoke times...

patrick
03-27-2011, 01:18 PM
I've got a 1400, the same model as my father.

I've used it several times, and everything seems to take way longer than I would expect to cook. Once I removed a butt before it was over 190, and I won't do that again. Another time, I smoked 3 brisket flats, and one took over 20 hours to finish. I cooked pork back loin ribs last week for 5 hours, and they were good, but the thicker parts of the racks could have been more done, so the meat would come off cleaner.

Right now I've got a 7.5lb boston butt on at 225. It's been on for 16 hours and probing it in various places shows the internal temperature is 175-185 depending on where I stick it. I'd like to hit 195 at the least.

It seems like every cook I've done takes way longer than I would anticipate, and I've even gone so for as using my Stoker controller from my charcoal fired smoker to data log the grate temperature all night long during a cook, and found that there is nothing wrong with the thermostat on my smokin tex.

Has anyone else experienced consistently long cooks?

BillyBob
03-27-2011, 04:39 PM
Patrick...at 225 I find the ribs take no less than 6hrs. For butts...I usually cook 8-10 pounders for at least 12hrs at 235. Try cooking at a little higher temp...see if that helps.

BillyBob

patrick
03-27-2011, 05:06 PM
Patrick...at 225 I find the ribs take no less than 6hrs. For butts...I usually cook 8-10 pounders for at least 12hrs at 235. Try cooking at a little higher temp...see if that helps.

BillyBob

Thanks BillyBob.

I fully intend to make some more ribs, as the ones I didn't quite like got eaten up in a hurry. I'll probably shoot for 6 hours, and use the toothpick test on the next batch.

The stubborn butt finally finished. It hit 194 or so near the bone, and 200 on the other end, so hopefully it'll pull easily. It's currently resting in some foil. Hopefully it's good, I did open the door every hour or so to probe the meat when I expected it ought to be done. Little did I know it would take 18 hours to cook. If it's good, I'll keep cooking at 225 and just start earlier from now on. I have read some butts are particularly stubborn, depending on the fat content, maybe I just have bad luck :)

I'll try to post some pics after I unwrap it and get started.

BillyBob
03-27-2011, 05:39 PM
Patrick...that is the perfect internal temp....it should pull just fine...enjoy!!:D:)

BillyBob

admin
03-27-2011, 05:48 PM
Patrick, by opening the door every hour to probe is extends your cooking/smoking time. Try inserting a probe through the smoke hole into the meat before starting and then don't open the door until desire internal temp.
SmokinTex sells these thermometers as well as others do.
Here is our link to our thermometers (https://id214.chi.us.securedata.net/smokintex.com/merchantmanager/index.php?cPath=1_9).
Happy smokin
Admin

BillyBob
03-27-2011, 06:01 PM
Patrick...here are some ribs cooked at 225 for 6hrs.
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/JimPotter/th_Picture011.jpg (http://s813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/JimPotter/?action=view&current=Picture011.jpg)

BillyBob

patrick
03-27-2011, 06:51 PM
Those are some tasty looking ribs Billybob. I'm going to have to follow your advice on my next batch.

I do have an electronic probe, but I loaned it out, so I had to use an instant read thermometer instead. I thought I could get away with it, by waiting 11 or 12 hours before opening the door to check. I'm going to get it back ASAP.

The butt pulled nicely. I decided to chop it after pulling it apart this time, as I've had at a lot of BBQ restaurants. It's good with the bark chopped and mixed in with the rest of the meat. I got a giant cutting board from a restaurant supply store that worked nicely for the purpose. Only a few little pieces fell off, but one of my cats is smart enough to eat good bbq, so she got a treat. I'm glad I waited this butt out instead of pulling it early.

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/4507/20110327190141.jpg
http://img858.imageshack.us/img858/9546/20110327192307.jpg

UpInSmoke
05-15-2011, 06:58 PM
Smoking newbie here. I've had a problem (or is it a problem?) with long smoke times since I got my 1400 a couple weeks ago. My first brisket, 10.5lbs, took 20.5 hours @ 200-225 (cranked it up after the first 12 hours) to reach an internal temp of 187. Today, I just finished the 18th hour of a pork butt (I don't know what the weight is--it was a 15.5lb 2-pack from Sam's club, but I'm only smoking one) @ 225 degrees and I've only reached an internal temp of 180 (looking for 190, as I understand it). I haven't opened the door once, and I'm monitoring the internal temp by a remote probe. Temp outside is ~ 85 with a slight breeze. Is there something I've missed, or is this just the way it goes? Oh...the 160 degree plateau for the butt lasted about 5 hours. Seems a bit excessive. Is it? Thanks!

BillyBob
05-17-2011, 12:35 PM
UpInSmoke...if you find that 225 is not quick enough for you...there is nothing wrong with bumping up to 250...especially the butts...it works for me!!

BillyBob