PDA

View Full Version : Time and temp suggestions, please.

bigwalleye
04-06-2011, 06:08 PM
I've got the new 1400 going thru the first smoke now, and plan to do a pork butt this weekend, but have a few questions for the group. I've been reviewing other posts, and I think others must be doing a whole butt. Posts I've seen are talking about 9 lb plus, and cook times 12-16 hours. I don't have a remote thermometer yet, but ordered one today. I'm working on an idea to position the butt just below the smoker vent and perhaps I can insert the standard meat thermometer from there.

Here are my questions: I've got the boneless end, about 4 1/2 pounds. While I understand we're temp critical, not time, I want to start early enough to be ready for dinner. I'm thinking about 6-8 hours of smoke time at 225, less based on temp, and a rest period for a couple hours in a cooler, 4 oz of wood, probably apple, and a couple broken charcoal briquettes. Sound like a good place to start?

If I wanted to throw in a basic Jimmy Dean fatty to have with brunch, put it in with the butt? Pull it out when? Time/temp suggestions?

Am I going to mess myself up opening the door? How do folks smoke more than one item with different cook times in the same smoker run?

Thanks for all your help!

BillyBob
04-07-2011, 04:42 PM
Bigwalleye...sounds like a good place to start on your butt...I would pull the fatty at 170 int...just don't have the door open too long.

The way I cook different meats at different temps is with the Maverick ET-732. I have two of these and they are great. I also have a Guru Digiq 11 I use on one of my Bubba Kegs...It works great on the 1400...however, they are a bit pricy at about $270.

BillyBob

Northern Q
04-07-2011, 04:44 PM
i would go easy on the chips as we put in 2 oz of cherry with a 5 lb butt and is was plenty of smoke,

this was our first butt with the 1400 it was great we put it in a 8 in the morning and it was done to 190 at 4pm

everyone one on the fourm all say the same thing go easy on the chips you do not need lots

bigwalleye
04-07-2011, 07:14 PM
Billybob and NorthernQ,
Thanks for the suggestions, info and encouragement. I'll post results Saturday night or Sunday morning. Just seasoning the 1400 last night I had to chase off 2 feral cats, 3 neighborhood dogs, and my 2 downwind neighbors. I'm going to have to arm myself when I put meat in there.....

I agree with and understand the thought behind a small amount of wood. It smoked heavily for the first 3 hours, and then still more for the last hour than I ever got out of my gas grill with wood chips in foil. A little bit of wood gives LOTS of smoke. Seems like the nearly air-tight nature of the cabinet retards an all out burn and flame.

BillyBob
04-07-2011, 09:16 PM
bigwalleye...try using wood chunks...I like the smoke alot better...I use 4-8 oz...I like alot of smoke in my meat...that's just me!!!!:)

BillyBob

bigwalleye
04-08-2011, 08:39 PM
Well, I'm not even out of the gate yet and we're changing on the fly. I've picked up a 9.5 lb bone in butt, left most of the fat cap on it, gave it a rubdown and it's in the fridge until midnight, when it'll go in for a long slow smoke. Starting at 180 for the nite, and I'll kick it up in the morning and watch temp from there. I'm thinking like 12 hours plus, and a hold time in a cooler for a while should bring me close to a 6 oclock dinner. Starting with about 1/2 cup of apple chips and I'm going to add a couple fatties in the morning, about 8, for brunch.

More reports to come. The bug has bitten.

Thank you all.

BillyBob
04-08-2011, 09:06 PM
Rock-on-brother...sounds good!!!!:cool::p

BillyBob

bigwalleye
04-09-2011, 10:51 AM
3 hours at 225, another handful apple chips and i hit an internal in the high 160's. Couldn't wait, and out they came. The butt is up to 163, so it appears we're right on schedule. Mt wife left me home alone with a warm butt and 2 hot fatties:D

I think evaporation is going to be a serious problem before she gets home.... One fatty has reduced in size by 50% solely as a result of holding a knife nearby.....

You are ALL to blame, and I thank you. Another report to come when the butt comes out.

billy b
04-09-2011, 11:00 AM
Now I'm hungry:p

bigwalleye
04-09-2011, 06:49 PM
Pulled the butt at 16 hours, 195 degrees, wrapped in tin foil, a towel and coolered it for an hour and a half, then pulled it. Absolutely amazing. Had company for dinner, so 5 adults and 1 kid, and I think I could get a couple sandwiches out of the leftovers....from a 9 1/2 lb butt. I think I need a nap. Sounds like me and the butcher are going to be friends.

Next time, a little more wood, a little more charcoal, but time and temp were perfect.

Thanks to all for your suggestions and encouragement!

BillyBob
04-09-2011, 09:56 PM
bigwalleye...as I suggested before...try chuncks not chips...chips burn too quickly...sounds like you're doing great and eating good!!!!!

BillyBob