PDA

View Full Version : Bad smoke/Trying to find the light blue smoke

Kconaway
04-11-2011, 12:04 PM
First, I am using dried apple/hickory wood chunks.... using about 4-6 ounces for smoking. The wood chunks are from the bags of chucks that you buy at the hardware store in the bbq isles. The smoke that this wood is producing is a dark brown smoke, not the nice light blue smoke that everyone talks about. It seems that if I peak into the smoker at the very beginning (1-2hours) of the smoking process the smoke is dark brown and thick(cant see what I am smoking, but then later on in the process if I peek the smoke is a light color but not very much smoke at all. Not even for sure if this is even smoke or not. The food tastes a little bitter, not the nice light smoke flavor I am used to from gas/wood smokers, I guess this is from the brown smoke in the beginning.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Am i using too much wood? Should I be expecting light blue smoke through out the whole smoking process(4-6 hours)? Should I let the brown smoke burn off before I place the meat in the smoker? Should I be using green wood instead of dried wood? Can the wood be bad or old? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Tampasteve
04-11-2011, 12:41 PM
Try removing any bark thats on those wood chunks. The bark can cause a very bitter taste. Then if not reduce your chunks to !/2 of what you are using. The ST smoker has abit of a learning curve but you'll strike gold shortly and never look back. Post again with what you find out. Good Luck....Steve

billy b
04-11-2011, 09:30 PM
Sorry Steve, I didn't see it was a double thread, but I agree.