PDA

View Full Version : ? re: Drip pan

bigwalleye
04-13-2011, 09:26 PM
Anyone see a down side to bending heavy aluminum into a "Z" and using JB weld to secure 3 pieces to the bottom of a 1400 with wheels to slide the drip pan into rather than just setting it on the ground? JB weld is supposed to be good to 500 degrees, so temp shouldn't be a problem.

Seems like a 2-3 inch piece on the bottom of the 1400 and one on both sides of the "channel" under the door would allow the drip pan to slide in and hang, and if the rearward bracket was not set too far back, an inch or two of exposed pan in the front would allow a person a look inside from time to time to ensure it wouldn't overflow.

Any thoughts? Anyone try it or have any other ideas? Probably go a long way to keeping the neighbor's dog out of it, too...

If the folks at Smokintex want to use the idea and send me one to road test for them, I'd be a willing test pilot.....

billy b
04-14-2011, 02:01 PM
I'm a tall guy & made a cart that was my size with a place to slide the drip pan under it, & it works gread, but I'm not sure about the JB weld, I made some extentions that screw into the legs on the smoker to raise it up for clearance but they are hard to see on the pic. You could just get some 3" bolts & screw them in the threads on the legs.Pardon the dirty teflon, it's been windy & dusty around here.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc277/billybank/100_2307.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc277/billybank/100_2306.jpg

bigwalleye
04-14-2011, 08:11 PM
Billy b,
Thanks for the photos. I've got wheels under my 1400, so clearance isn't the problem. I'm thinking more like your idea where the pan is somehow stabilized in place where it's needed. I do like the cart idea, though, and I've also been thinking about a cart, either the pro-cart here or a chrome kitchen cart from Costco, etc. to get it up to a good working height, and adapting from there.

BillyBob
04-14-2011, 09:31 PM
bigwalleye...the pro-cart solved all my problems!!

BillyBob