PDA

View Full Version : Cheese

bigwalleye
04-18-2011, 06:56 PM
I just ran some cheese thru my 1400. 150 degrees, 15 minutes, ice pan above the cold plate, cheese in 2 racks above that. About 4 oz of apple chips. Let it sit for an hour and upon pulling it out, some moisture on the top of the cheese blocks that appears to have collected the smoke, but not the all around smoke darkening I would have expected. I did have 4 blocks of cheese in there on one rack, and 2 packs of string cheese eacj split in half an a rack above. The ice pan was over half full.

I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see how it tastes, but based on the smoke that apears to only have settled on the tops of the blocks, did I do something wrong?

Is moisture collecting on the cheese an issue? Normal? If not, how do I prevent it?

billy b
04-18-2011, 07:39 PM
I've never noticed moisture on mine but I let it get to room temp before I smoke it, 1/2 hour is plenty for my cheddar.

bigwalleye
04-18-2011, 07:40 PM
Billy b,
Does the technique sound right otherwise?

DavidJ3d
04-19-2011, 03:26 PM
I smoked mozzarella with about the same settings you did (perhaps for just a little longer, do not have notes with me) and had no problem with extra moisture. They came out the nice overall golden brown I expected.

I too let them sit out uncovered in the kitchen until they got room temp and developed a matte-finish/tackiness. I think that is really key for smoke adherence on cheeses.

bigwalleye
04-19-2011, 03:39 PM
After letting the cheese sit in the fridge overnight, I unwrapped all the packages and wiped off the excess moisture, and what came off on the paper towel as a very little bit of what appears like fine black soot. I re-wrapped the cheese and put it back in the fridge. I tried the smoked string cheese, and the flavor is certainly there. I smoked 18 minutes at 150, 4 oz apple wood, and left it in the smoker for 1 hour

Notes for next time: 1. Let it sit at room temp first. 2. Less wood, 2 oz next time 3. Less time in the smoker, 15 minutes next time.

billy b
04-19-2011, 07:19 PM
After letting the cheese sit in the fridge overnight, I unwrapped all the packages and wiped off the excess moisture, and what came off on the paper towel as a very little bit of what appears like fine black soot. I re-wrapped the cheese and put it back in the fridge. I tried the smoked string cheese, and the flavor is certainly there. I smoked 18 minutes at 150, 4 oz apple wood, and left it in the smoker for 1 hour

Notes for next time: 1. Let it sit at room temp first. 2. Less wood, 2 oz next time 3. Less time in the smoker, 15 minutes next time.

I think you're right on point now;)

lgkitting
06-29-2016, 09:38 AM
My opinion (and it's only that) Moisture on the surface of smoked cheese is actually the oils emerging from out of the cheese indicating the smoking process was slightly higher than is preferable.