PDA

View Full Version : New 1400 Temp swing question

Phillyguy
04-25-2011, 01:33 PM
Hello everyone,
I just received my 1400 and am looking forward to getting started smoking. Before buying I looked through this forum and was impressed by the loyalty to the product and the depth of knowledge of the posters on this forum.

Now to my question. I did the break-in proceedure as described in the manual. I set the smoker to 215 degrees and put in 8 oz. of the wood that came with the smoker. I bought a Maverick dual probe wireless thermometer to moniter the inside temp. When I fired 'er up, the temp rapidly increased to 285!!! It then lowered down to 215 and then increased up to 280-285 range. These fluctuations continued for the 4 hrs. Is this normal operating proceedure or do I have a defective thermostat? Is it because the unit is empty? 285 seems way out of wack for a unit with the setting at 215.

I just wanted to get the experienced users take on this before I contact the mfgr. about a potential thermostat replacement. Thanks in advance for your help!!

BillyBob
04-26-2011, 12:04 AM
Phillguy...I would check the temp probe of the Maverick first and if it is correct...then I would contact SmokinlTex. If you don't know how to test the temp probe of the Maverick...let me know!!

BillyBob

Phillyguy
04-26-2011, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the reply BillyBob. Yes, if you have a method for testing the probe on the Maverick, please let me know.

Thanks!

bigwalleye
04-26-2011, 09:07 AM
Actually, Please let all of us know!

Thanks in advance.

BAnonymous
04-26-2011, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the reply BillyBob. Yes, if you have a method for testing the probe on the Maverick, please let me know.

Thanks!

Easy. First stick the probe in a glass of ice and see if it reads 32*or close to it. Next stick it in a pot of boiling water and if it registers 212* you're good to go.

Blane

BillyBob
04-26-2011, 09:31 PM
I don't need to say anymore...BAnonymous is right on the money!!!!!

BillyBob

ColumbusQ
04-27-2011, 09:37 AM
I bought a new 1400 and seasoned it last night. I also had the same issue with temperature swings. I had it set at 215, and it went as high as 258. It cycled through this several times during the seasoning.

If you get an answer, please let me know.

Phillyguy
04-27-2011, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the quick reply folks. Been crazy busy and will try and check accuracy of the Maverick tonight using Blane and BillyBob's suggestion. If it is accurate I will place a call to Smokin' Tex to see if this is normal. 285 just seems too high when set at 215, even if it is just to cycle to higer temp. Maybe when it has food in it it won't have such drastic swings? I will keep you all posted.

Tampasteve
04-27-2011, 04:16 PM
I believe the high temperature is from the wood that was sent with the smoker is so dry that instead of just smoking it actually cought on fire and was flaming too that high temp. Mine did that also on the first burn. Also some of the smokers actually have a small chance of a explosion of the gasses released from that dry wood and the flame produced from the burning wood. You will hear a small poof or boom inside the smoker. Others have experienced this same issue. Remember that when you start smoking that 2-4 oz of wood is sufficient....Good luck... and enjoy your ST........Steve

Phillyguy
04-28-2011, 03:11 PM
I checked out my Maverick and it accurately recorded both freezing and boiling temps. I called ST this morning and explained what happened and they were very nice on the phone. The gent that I spoke to suggested that it could be that the temp setting knob is a little off (I will check that when I get home) or that the spike was unusually high becasue the smoker was empty. He suggested trying a cook and seeing what happens with the smoker loaded. He also suggested trying to callibrate the setting knob by using a process that sounds like a bit of a pain but I will try it if need be. Here is the process:

secure the temp probe to the metal guard around the thermocouple in the ST with some wire or a couple of paper clips
start up the unit and set at 200 or 225 with no wood
monitor and record the temps every 5 mins for a period of around 3 hrs.
at the end of 3 hrs, add up the recorded temps and divide by the number of readings to give you the average temp.

He said that if after trying the callibration that the unit is more than 5-10 degrees off, contact ST and they will replace the thermostat.

I think I will try a cook and see what happens. I will moniter the internal with food in it to see what kind of swings I get.

One other question for the experienced users: Where do you put the probe that measures the internal temp of the unit? Do you rest it or somehow attach it to one of the racks or do you just dangle it in the middle not touching anything??

Thanks everyone!!

BillyBob
04-28-2011, 04:59 PM
Phillyguy...I clip mine on the meat probe...don't let it touch the meat or the rack!!!

BillyBob

Phillyguy
05-01-2011, 11:30 PM
Hello everyone, I just wanted to report on my first cook and the temprature swing issue that I had experienced during the seasoning process. I smoked 11 lbs. of spare ribs today using 3 oz. of hickory chips (I received several bags of chips as part of my 1400 package) at 225 degrees for just under 4.5 hrs. I also threw in a chunk of lump charcoal because I have been reading that it will give you the smoke ring. Prior to putting the ribs in, I used a rub about an hour before putting them in.

During the cook, the interior temps ranged from 240 down to 190 so I did not have the very high temp spikes that I had during the seasoning process. I didn't open the door during the entire time cooking and when I did open the door after 4.5 hrs, the ribs passed the toothpick test and were completely done and very moist. I served them as is and had some warm bbq sauce on the side to put on the ribs as each person wanted it. The ribs were PERFECT! Very moist and tender, just the right amount of smokiness for everyone and everyone loved them!! Very happy with my first cook and looking forward to experimenting in the future.

Thanks for everyone's help and I will be a frequent visitor to this site for ideas and recipies!

Tampasteve
05-02-2011, 08:42 AM
Keep up the good work,,,,,oh I mean smokin'....Steve