PDA

View Full Version : Trimmed Brisket Recipe

zkirby77
05-26-2011, 09:50 PM
Hey all,

Kinda new here, just received my 1400 today and am excited to smoke this weekend. My friend was aso excited and purchased a 7 pound brisket for the occassion. Only issue is it's a trimmed brisket, so about 2 inches thick and flat with no fat cap. Does anyone have a recipe or and tips to make this first non-standard brisket a success? I looked through the recipes but didn't see any mention of a trimmed brisket. Thank you in advance.

zkirby77

BillyBob
05-27-2011, 08:57 AM
zkirby...I am no expert on brisket...but you might try the following:

1) Coat the brisket with your choice of oil and apply your fovorit rub.
2) Wrap or put in a plastic bag and refrigerate for 1 or 2 hrs or over night if possible.
3) Set your ST 1400 at your desired temperature 225-250 and put in smoker, add desired amout of wood chuncks.
4) If you have one, and I highly recommend one, insert a remote digital thermometer such as a maverick ET-73/E-732.
5) Cook until internal temp reaches 180F.
6) Pull out of smoker and wrap in a double layer of heavy-duty foil...pour in a cup of beaf broth or beer and seal tight( I also put mine in a foil pan just in case it lesks)
7) Cook to internal of 190-205.
8) Pull wrap in cloth towels and place in a cooler for 1-2hrs to rest.
Good Luck!

BillyBob

zkirby77
05-27-2011, 09:50 AM
One question though. After I place it in foil do I keep cooking in the smoker or place it in the oven? Also do you think I need to start cooking it the night before or will it be cooked enough if I start around 7am and plan to eat at 7 pm. I do have a digital thermometer so will be cooking with it in the meat the entire time. Thanks again for all the help Billybob.

BillyBob
05-27-2011, 03:05 PM
Yes put it back in the smoker...and yes start the night before just to be save...plan on 16-18 plus.
Let me know how it comes out.

BillyBob

zkirby77
06-01-2011, 12:06 AM
Billybob,

Thanks for the recipe, I followed it almost to the T. Heres the rundown.

1:30 AM placed the rubbed brisket in the smoker on 215 with 4 oz of hickory chips.
6:30 AM checked the temp = 143
around 10:30 AM temp was 176
around 1200 temp was 183 (got higher than I wanted) so I wrapped and added the 1/2 cup of beer and placed it back into the smoker on 250.
1.5 hours later the brisket reached 189 and I wrapped it in towels and placed into a small cooler.

Unwrapped to eat at 6 PM. The brisket was still steaming hot, (too hot to touch).

As for the brisket, it was more tender than I could have imagined but a little on the dry side and cooked well done (there was no pink anywhere inside) nothing some good BBQ sauce couldn't help. Flavor was a light smoky and very tasty but I would have preferred more smoke flavor

So here's what I think I'll try next time, tell me if it sound crazy but I desire a little less cooked (medium vice well) and want it juicier and smokier.

1) Place in smoker with 4 oz of chips on 190 degrees. 3 hours later replace the chips with new chips and keep smoking for another 3 hours for a total of 6 hours.

2) At 6 hours wrap brisket and continue to cook at 190 degrees until 170 degrees internal temp (or should I go less like 160 to get medium) at which time I'll wrap and store in a cooler.

By doing this I hope to introduce more smoke in the first 6 hours as well as cook it slower to give it time to break down and become tender and I hope to cook it a bit less so as not to end up with well done brisket.

Thoughts?

BillyBob
06-01-2011, 08:11 AM
zkirby77...I like more smoke than most people so I use chunks and about 8oz...I don't have to add more later. The internal temp will just depend on the way you perfer it...160-170 should get you medium.

BillyBob

billy b
06-01-2011, 05:55 PM
BillyBob is right but 160-170 will not get you a real tender brisket imo. Likely the reason yours was dry was because it was a trimmed brisket.

n5zbj
11-11-2011, 10:56 AM
11/11/2011 9:21AM
Reply to: “Trimmed Brisket Recipe “
Trimmed Brisket is the best to use; I buy the “Flat” at my local wholesale club.
I generally purchase 6-8 pound sizes …
(1) I rinse the brisket off in cold water, and dry with a paper towel.

(2) I first rub the leaner side first.
a. With French’s Yellow Mustard, and then use the Fiesta Brand “Brisket Rub” to completely coat that side.

(3) I then place the brisket fat side up on the cooking rack and repeat the same process.
a. With French’s Yellow Mustard, and then use the Fiesta Brand “Brisket Rub” to completely coat that side.

(4) I line the bottom of my SmokinTex 1400 with foil and then foil the top of the chip lid. This make for much easier clean up.

(5) I the load the SmokinTex 1400 chip tray with Hickory & Pecan, plus I add 2-4 charcoal briquettes to help secure a nice smoke ring.

(6) I then load my cooking racks with already prepared Flats and I use the Maverick Dual Probe wireless Cooking Thermometer and insert them in to the thickest part of the largest flats and the anther in to the thicket part of the smallest flat. This way I can watch the temperature on the largest as well as the smallest to better judge the overall cooking time.

(7) I set my SmokinTex 1400 to 225-230 and when the internal temperature reaches 165-170 I then will place the Flats in to Aluminum 1/2 size steamer insert pans and cover with the to Aluminum 1/2 size steamer insert lids. (Also purchased at my local wholesale club) ….

(8) I close my SmokinTex 1400 door and in 2-3 hours remove the flats from the smoker and let rest for about 1 hour.

(9) Then end result if the best, moist, and tender brisket you will ever eat.

I own several other electric smokers, and have cooked many briskets on them. And it was a pain to figure out the right process. But when I first got the SmokinTex 1400 and after following the seasoning process, I then cooked my 100th – 104th briskets. And they all were the best I had ever cooked. All I had to do was prep, load, and lock, and the SmokinTex 1400 did the rest.

admin
11-11-2011, 12:30 PM
n5zbj,
Thanks so much for bringing awesome "samples" of your smoked brisket flats to our office.
Moist and tender and delicious!!!
Thanks for sharing your SmokinTex Experience and happy smokin!
The appreciative SmokinTex Staff

mauijohn
12-01-2011, 02:32 PM
n5zbj

Hello,your way to cook Brisket look's nice and straight forward,2 questions,what are 1/2 size aluminum steamer insert pans,I'm out on the west coast here, is that what their called all over the country or is it a certain size pan or a type of pan.
Next question when you put the brisket back in do you leave the temperature set @ 225-230.
Thanks

PS: I'm loving my new 1400,I've done ribs 3 times,nice and juicy everytime,Baby Back and Saint Louis Style both.

n5zbj
12-02-2011, 11:03 AM
(1) I get the 1/2 size steamer insert pans from Sam's Club....

Use the URL http://www.samsclub.com

Bakers & Chefs Aluminum Foil Steam Table Pans - Half Size - 30 ct. $6.44

They also have a foil lid sold separately.
Bakers & Chefs Aluminum Steam Table Foil Lids - Half Size - 30 ct. $5.48

(2) Yes I set the temp 225-230 and check the tenderness of the brisket with a fork about every hour to hour & 1/2.. Plus I sneak a small slice to really test it...

I have owned or used (4) brands of smokers (9) different models) over the years. I have cooked 118 briskets to date, and I love my 1400.. it's well designed, easy to use, clean and maintain, and most important it is engineered to work with the love of smoking the right way.

I smoked (4) brisket flats yesterday... I was concerned that the cold temp in my garage would hurt my cooking times, and was I wrong.... I smoked and finished them in the same time as when i smoked in the warmer months.

The best part about the SmokinTex 1400 it is the right size and price for us, and the added bonus is that the team at SmokinTex are real, they are passionate about bringing a excellent product at a good price to the non commercial consumers.

Hope this answers your questions.

SmokeRing
12-03-2011, 01:27 PM
11/11/2011 9:21AM
Reply to: “Trimmed Brisket Recipe “
Trimmed Brisket is the best to use; I buy the “Flat” at my local wholesale club.
I generally purchase 6-8 pound sizes …
(1) I rinse the brisket off in cold water, and dry with a paper towel.

(2) I first rub the leaner side first.

(3) I then place the brisket fat side up on the cooking rack and repeat the same process.

(4) I line the bottom of my SmokinTex 1400 with foil and then foil the top of the chip lid. This make for much easier clean up.

(5) I the load the SmokinTex 1400 chip tray with Hickory & Pecan, plus I add 2-4 charcoal briquettes to help secure a nice smoke ring.

(6) I then load my cooking racks with already prepared Flats and I use the Maverick Dual Probe wireless Cooking Thermometer and insert them in to the thickest part of the largest flats and the anther in to the thicket part of the smallest flat. This way I can watch the temperature on the largest as well as the smallest to better judge the overall cooking time.

(7) I set my SmokinTex 1400 to 225-230 and when the internal temperature reaches 165-170 I then will place the Flats in to Aluminum 1/2 size steamer insert pans and cover with the to Aluminum 1/2 size steamer insert lids. (Also purchased at my local wholesale club) ….

(8) I close my SmokinTex 1400 door and in 2-3 hours remove the flats from the smoker and let rest for about 1 hour.

(9) Then end result if the best, moist, and tender brisket you will ever eat.

I own several other electric smokers, and have cooked many briskets on them. And it was a pain to figure out the right process. But when I first got the SmokinTex 1400 and after following the seasoning process, I then cooked my 100th – 104th briskets. And they all were the best I had ever cooked. All I had to do was prep, load, and lock, and the SmokinTex 1400 did the rest.

Thanks n5zbj, I am going to try it.

Sclisrael
12-07-2011, 02:28 AM
Hi- I have a thermometer question. Can I keep this in the meat and run the cable out of the smoker through the vent hole up top? Otherwise I'll have to keep opening the door and loose heat. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks

applejack
12-07-2011, 03:10 AM
Hello Sclisrael,

In a word - yes.

Personally, I have a dual probe Maverick Digital thermometer that I really would be lost without. I also have another Maverick with a single thermocouple for displaying the interior temperature of my ST 1400 just to see what is actually going on minute to minute temperature wise. That makes 3 wires coming through the the smoke vent with absolutely zero problem.

Happy Smokin
applejack

Sclisrael
12-07-2011, 03:51 AM
BillyBob-thanks for yuor post. Question about the thermometer. I have one with a braded cable-but it is not going to go through the door seal, wdyt about it coming out the smoke vent uptop?

BillyBob
12-07-2011, 08:46 AM
Sclisrael....I have always run the probes through the hole in the top to keep from opening the door.

BillyBob

bigwalleye
12-09-2011, 06:56 PM
Don't be afraid to use the other probe as a seconday meat thermometer. If I'm running a big ol' butt, I've got extra space and I'll throw a couple fatties in besides, and use the "cabinet" probe in one of those to monitor the temp of the sausage, and it works great.

n5zbj
12-13-2011, 11:00 AM
That's a great suggestion....

I have 2 maverick industries dual wireless thermometers and they give me great results, re-confirms the excellent temperature control of my SmokinTex 1400.

Thanks
Bob

n5zbj
12-13-2011, 12:40 PM
Update to My Trimmed Brisket Recipe

Here are some photo's of the completed Trimmed Brisket.

(1) When I get the bark look I want I then place the briskets into a 1/2 size steamer pan. This will allow the briskets to rest and continue to cook with out drying them out.

(2) I then cook for 2-3 hour until semi-fork tender.

(3) Semi-fork tender just right for slicing

I hope you all enjoy smoking as much as I do....

Bob

SmokinFL
04-02-2015, 09:30 AM
Hello N5zbj

Brand new here. I just got the 1460 and trimmed brisket 8lbs and am doing my first smoke this weekend. Your instructions look great but I did have a question. with regard to line 7) You say 225-230 until the internal temp hit 165-170....I don't have a probed thermo yet, but I do have an instant read thermo. HOW LONG would you estimate this time frame to be? When you be a good time to open the door and check it HOURS WISE. I know this post was years old, but maybe someone is still around that can advise. Thanks much.

Brian

bigwalleye
04-03-2015, 07:46 AM
SmokinFL,
Welcome to the club!!
You a brave man, first smoke on a brisket! Most of us have a brisket in the freezer as a long term inflation hedge investment, considering what the cost of these babies have done over the last couple years. Seems like a better rate of return than the stock market...
Regarding the time to check internal temp. With 8 lbs, 225 degrees, and a 165 target, I'd be inclined to check the temp at about the 8 hour mark, maybe a little longer.
I have found that if i have to open the door on a multi-item cook, i cheat and bring a paper cup with 1/2-3/4 of an inch of water in the bottom. Do your temp check, toss the water onto the top of the smoke box, and close 'er up again. It vaporizes right away, and adds back some off the moisture lost by opening the door.

Good luck and let us know the results. If we share our successes AND failures, we all get smarter together, even if we can't share a meal.

Jim

SmokinFL
04-06-2015, 08:54 AM
Hi Bigwalleye,

Thanks for the greeting. My first brisket was probably 97% I think I got spooked and pulled it a little early, but it sliced nice and tasted great. As they say in baseball "And the crowd goes wild" while everyone wolfed it down and commented many times. I think my next one will be spot on. (I hope)

I watched Scott's Brisket video and took some notes. He comments that Brisket is a nice cheap cut of meat, I think he say's around 2 dollars a pound. I went to the Winn Dixie, the butcher brought one from the back. I said, looks good I'll take it. He weighed it and slapped a label on it. I was STUNNED when I saw the price tag.... $65 dollars. WHAT? I thought maybe he hit the Filet Mignon Key instead of the Brisket key, but nope that was the price. 8 bucks a pound. It was first grade top shelf angus which could explain some of it. (Scott's video was shot a while back obviously)

Ahh well, live and learn, it did make for an excellent Easter weekend of good eating.

I've enjoyed reading and learning from many of your posts, you are clearly the Obi Wan Kenobi of the smokinTex forum I'll probably have many more questions for you and the gang as time goes by.

I hope you have a fantastic day BW,

Brian

bigwalleye
04-06-2015, 09:44 AM
Yah, some folks here have taken to calling it an "investment brisket"!!!

Nice to hear about successes!!!!! Remember that each piece of meat will react differently to temp. Seems just when I think I've a time nailed for a particular cut, I'll have one hit the target temp two hours early or an hour late. Really wierd seeing two similar sized pork butts in the box together that an hour plus off apart in time...Sometimes on the top, and sometimes on the bottom...

It is done when it is done.

Congrats on the success, welcome to the family, and Feed the Addiction....

DReeves
04-08-2015, 07:35 AM
Welcome to the family, Brian.

Sticker shock has become the norm, lately. Unfortunately the prediction is that prices will stay elevated for the next 2 - 3 years. Sad, now I save brisket for special occasions, where I previously threw 'em on at will.

Say hello to the pork butt!!!!