PDA

View Full Version : Canadian bacon

billy b
05-30-2011, 09:06 PM
I tried a friends (Brad) recipe last week & smoked it this weekend with cherry chips, it came out marvelous, very easy to do & tastes better than any I've ever tried.
Here's his recipe & a couple of pics..
1) Took 56lbs of pork loin (got at case price at Sam's Club) and trimmed off all fat on the exterior. I then cut the loins in half so I could fit 1 whole loin per smoker rack
2) Coated with 1TBSP of Sugar and 1TBSP of Morton's TenderQuick per lb of meat. (it's okay to go a little over on the cure, but don't underestimate)
3) Place halved loins (2/bag) in a Ziploc bag with all the air squeezed out of it and place in the fridge as close to 38* as possible
4) Flip the bags over each day. Cure for a minimum of 7 days and a max of 10 days.
5) Take loins out of bags and rinse in cold tap water.
6) Place in 30 minute ice bath to extract some saltiness from cure. You can slice off an end piece of a loin and fry it up after that to see if the water needs changed and another 30 minute soak is necessary. I found a single 30 minutes was fine with no saltiness at all detected.
7) You can place a rub on at this time and let dry in the fridge or transfer directly to the smoker
8) Smoke at 220 - 225* for ~4hrs with 2oz - 3oz of wood (I liked maple, cherry and apple).
9) Smoke to 145* if you plan on cooking before you eat and 150* if you want to eat it like lunchmeat. We smoked to 150* but I always fry it a little anyway.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc277/billybank/100_2308.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc277/billybank/100_2309.jpg

bigwalleye
05-31-2011, 06:46 AM
billy b,
That looks AMAZING!!!

admin
05-31-2011, 10:59 AM
A beautiful sight to behold!
Thanks for posting.

Brad
05-31-2011, 12:19 PM
Glad you like it Billy. That's some mighty fine eating you got there.

We've used it on egg sammiches, as a breakfast meat by itself and as a topper for smothered grilled chicken. Much healthier than regular pork belly bacon and tastes mighty fine to boot.

I've rubbed with maple syrup and brown sugar after the 30 minute soak and let rest overnight before smoking with maple wood. That's another good variation.

BillyBob
05-31-2011, 12:46 PM
Great cook billyb...that sure looks like some good eatin!!!!

BillyBob

vanholton
08-12-2011, 04:01 PM
Tried the Candian Bacon Tender Quick and Brown Sugar, 8 days in frig. rinsed and soaked for 30 min. Rubed 1 with TBSP of B sugar and 1 tesp of black pepper. Smoked with 3 oz of hicory to 150. Cooled and sliced 1/8 of and inch.
Man what good eating. Thanks for the recipe!!!

Sodaking27
12-28-2011, 06:14 PM
Do you use brown or white sugar with the tender quick?

Sodaking27
01-08-2012, 03:03 PM
Turned out amazing. Did the tender quick and white sugar in the frig for 8 days. Rinsed and placed in an ice bath for 30 mins. Rubbed down with pepper and brown sugar. Back in the frig for another 24 hours. Smoked to 150.

Alvasin
02-08-2012, 10:29 AM
Bacon is a cut of pork and in North America we commonly eat what is called side bacon, or bacon cut from the side of the pork. In Canada the common cut of preference is bacon taken from the back, commonly referred to as "back bacon." This bacon is more like a slice of ham, and its taken from the "eye of the loin" which is very tender and lean.North American bacon usually has a higher fat content earning it the nickname "streaky bacon" in Europe, because of the design the pork and fat combine to make in its long thin slices.

smokin-tnpete
03-20-2012, 08:06 PM
Been doing this for a few years. Always comes out bad, It has to be bad. It always sneaks away for some reason. The kids and everyone else steals it .
Pete

jfsjazz
05-09-2012, 10:27 AM
Tried this recipe recently, smoked the bacon this past Sunday after 8 days of cure. The results were fantastic! My mistake: I only made 1/2 a loin as I didn't know how it would turn, out. Now, three days later, there is so little remaining that I have to make another one real soon!!

Great recipe and method!!

luke clayton
05-10-2012, 09:07 PM
I've made this with wild hog backstraps. Awesome but it's necessary to wrap it in foil after it smokes to prevent drying out.

DReeves
05-13-2012, 09:37 PM
Wow. I'm in love. Great pics and detail.

Thank you for sharing.

mr_melvis
05-21-2012, 10:31 AM
Been doing this for a few years - started out using turbinado sugar ("Sugar In The Raw") and Tenderquick, but just switched over to maple sugar instead. Better taste in our opinion - smoked over hickory and maple wood. We take and chop some up, then cube up a couple of potatoes and fry them in butter and oil (don't move 'em around too much, let 'em get crispy), then add chopped onions and green peppers and the bacon. Heat until the onions get a little soft, then top with shredded chedder cheese and stick under the broiler for 2 -3 minutes until the cheese melts. now that's Sunday breakfast! ;)

jfsjazz
05-22-2012, 07:36 AM
Finished my latest batch of cb this past weekend and sliced it last night. Great recipe - highly recommend. The two in the back are maple cured; front one is peppered. All are apple wood smoked. A must try for bacon lovers!!! Cheers to "billy b"for starting the thread with this recipe and to all who weighed in with tips. 171

applejack
06-01-2012, 02:43 PM
billy b,

Thanks for your original posting and pictures. I just finished smoking and slicing my first attempt at making any cured meat of any kind. I kept my first attempt in the 'very cautious' range by curing a single loin. I am basically pleased with the result and know that it certainly will quickly disappear from the freezer.

Thanks again for your guidance.

applejack