PDA

View Full Version : Plain Jane PNW Salmon

zkirby77
06-01-2011, 12:13 AM
OK all,

After my brisket this weekend tonight I smoked my second thing ever in my new 1400. a 1 pound fillet of salmon. All I did was clean it under cold water, dry it with paper towels and add a dash of table salt and pepper. Placed it into the 1400 on the seafood rack towards the top of the cabinet at 200 degrees with 2 oz of hickory chips. Let it smoke for 1hr 45 mins and removed it.

Now up here in the PNW we have a traditional way of eating our smoked salmon, at least my family does.

Here's how it's done:

Ritz cracker slathered in philadelphia cream cheese with a nice sized chunk of smoked salmon on it and a caper or two to dress it up. Pop the entire thing in your mouth and your ready to start constructing your next one.

As for the salmon, it was excellent, flakey and smoky with a beautiful orangish/pink coloring.

"I love this smoker 'nuff said"

Baby back ribs this weekend :).

zkirby77

BillyBob
06-01-2011, 08:01 AM
zkirby77...sounds like a great cook...I must have something wrong with me because I have tried salmon cooked almost every way possible and I just don't care for it. Everyone else just loves it!!!

BillyBob

metronome
05-19-2014, 03:51 PM
zkirby77...sounds like a great cook...I must have something wrong with me because I have tried salmon cooked almost every way possible and I just don't care for it. Everyone else just loves it!!!

BillyBob

BillyBob, you might try poaching it in chicken broth. So simple and so delicious. Just be sure and cook it rare. I thought I hated Salmon as my friends and my wife and I invariably overcooked it.
No it's one of my faves.

P.S. no farm raised Atlantic Salmon either, only King, Coho or other wild Salmon or farm raised Scottish.