PDA

View Full Version : Boston Butt FYI

bigwalleye
06-22-2011, 06:16 PM
Smoked a butt a week and a half ago for a trip to Canada. Wanted to pull it and then package it to reheat up there. Smoked, foiled, coolered and pulled as normal, put everything minus 2 sandwiches worth (hey, I'm only human) in a tinfoil pan, and covered the pan in foil to seal it tight, then into the fridge. Saved all the pan drippings and grease in a tupperware container and put that in the fridge as well. First night in Canada I took about 2/3 of the grease and all the pan drippings and added about 5 oz of water, put it on a pan on the stove and warmed it, drizzled it over the pulled pork, refoiled it and warmed it in the sealed pan on the grill. When I opened the pan to check, the nicest little steam cloud escaped, and I knew it was going to be a hit. I was not disappointed, and the guys were duly impressed!

Never thought it would work that well, but I'm so happy with the results, I'm going to do it again for the next trip in a month.

BillyBob
06-22-2011, 10:09 PM
bigwalleye...If you can...vacuum seal the meat and just reheat in boiling water...it will taste almost like just cooked. Also, save the juice from the cook and add after the reheat.
Just the way I have had great results. Not tring to change your method...just what I do.

BillyBob

bigwalleye
06-23-2011, 09:11 PM
...and here's a thread where I get to do the forehead slap. I never thought of the vacuum sealer. Have to give that one a try myself.

Thanks!

bigwalleye
07-11-2011, 04:51 PM
And now I get to the second 8.5 lb butt from the same package. I rubbed as normal yesterday, but where I would usually start at 1 am and we'd be 15-16 hours in the smoker and an hour to 2 in the cooler, we had some storms last night, so I started this one at 5:30 am. It hit 198 at 3:30 pm, only 10 hours later....It was warm here today, and the sun's been shining on the smoker all afternoon. Could it have made that much of a difference??? Apparently so...Seems awfully fast, but it's in the cooler now, so we'll have to see how it looks in 10 more minutes....

Any ideas here?

BillyBob
07-11-2011, 08:54 PM
bigwalleye...the outside temp could have easily affected the time or the cut or quality of the meat...I don't wrap and cooler unless I am ahead of schedule...I bring the butt to 200 internal...double wrap with HD foil and let set on the counter until cool enough to pull....saves time with the same results...just me!!!!!

BillyBob

EJM
08-01-2011, 01:55 PM
I smoked an 8 lb butt and pulled it, placed it a foil pan. Brought it to northern Michigan and reheated it for a party two day later. Added a couple of cored apples and heated it on 250 in the oven. It came out good but not like fresh out of the smoker. The thing is, I brought the smoker too. I did a 12lb brisket. I could have done it at the same time. I'm just not use to that much room in the smoker. Bye the way most folks there hadn't experienced real Texas Brisket. I used a rub I made called Big Bad Beef Rub from meathead's web site. It was awesome. The brisket was gone in 30 minutes. Dang not even enough left over for a sandwhich the next day.

mneeley490
08-01-2011, 06:37 PM
If you don't want all the fat added back in, you can pour the drippings into a bowl or large measuring cup and put it in the refrigerator for awhile. The fat will rise and solidify, and you can easily remove it before you pour the rest back into the meat.