PDA

View Full Version : Smoked wild boar ribs

luke clayton
06-24-2011, 03:41 PM
Some folks will tell you that any wild boar weighing much over 80 pounds is not good table fare. I disagree, at least most of the time. I've used my Smokin Tex on lots of boar weighing upwards of 125 pounds with excellent results.
Wild boar have much less fat than domestic swine but that can be a good thing, IF you smoke your pork in moisture long and slow.
Take the ribs for instance. I begin by putting a good rub on the ribs, brown sugar, a little red pepper, garlic powder and salt works well.
Next, I set my Smokin Tex at 225, put about 6 ounces of wild plum wood in the wood box (dry wood only) and let the ribs smoke a couple hours.
And then.... I lay the ribs on a double layer of heavy duty foil or an aluminum pan, add my favorite BBQ sauce (for flavor and moisture), wrap tightly, turn the thermostat down to 200 and let it slow cook for an additional 4 hours.
The finished products is very flavorful, very TENDER pork ribs.
This same process works well on whole hams or shoulders the only deviation is with the cooking times. I smoke uncovered 3 hours and then wrapped and slow cook with sauce for no less than 12 hours at 200 degrees.
TRY THE NEXT 150 POUND BOAR YOU HARVEST PREPARED IN THIS MANNER. YOU WILL THANKS ME WHEN YOU SET DOWN WITH YOUR GUESTS FOR DINNER AND ON FUTURE HUNTS, YOU WILL PROBABLY TARGET BIGGER HOGS...... THEY PACK MORE MEAT! GOOD HUTNING! Luke Clayton www.catfishradio.com