PDA

View Full Version : Something seems wrong with my 1400 , Please help ..

brian4
08-07-2011, 05:06 AM
I was smoking a boston butt today.. in the past , no problem ..
Today , after 12 hours , the temp. was onlt 160 , using internal temp probe in butt .. I
dis finally put in oven .. as directions say do , but my question is , why did the temp only be 160 after 12 hours ?
I will let ya know how it turns out in later post ..

Thank you for your help / time in advance ..
Regards , Brian

BillyBob
08-07-2011, 03:51 PM
brian...sometimes we get a butt that just won't breakdown as it should and it will stall for a longer period of time. Try something else and see what happens. If you have the same problem give SmokinTex a call.

BillyBob

mneeley490
08-08-2011, 05:24 PM
BillyBob is right. I've had butts and briskets stall for hours; you really can't go by time on these.
I'd insert another temp probe down the hole and make sure your inside cooking temp is correct.

applejack
08-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Hi Brian,

Since I have only cooked pork butts twice then I still rank really low on the totem pole of experience -- however -- my own experiences reflect the same long cook times with the internal temperature stuck on the 154 - 160 range for what seems like forever. My first cook time was a bit over 23 hours and my second was even longer. I tracked my oven temperature and it never got lower than 225 and would reach around 260 on the high side. I was cooking 2 pork butts weighing 7.5 lbs each. In my case, I have run experiments to verify that my unit indeed works as it should. I think part of my long cook times may be related to the fact that I like to inject marinade. A second issue is that I have had a drip pan under the butts and directly over the smoke box and I suspect that this pan is acting like a heat shield and may well be affecting how much heat is actually getting to the meat. My next cook of butts will be without the drip pan and without injecting marinade to see what that accomplishes.

You did not state what temperature your smoker was set at. What was the internal temperature you were wanting to reach? Don't be afraid to crank up the temp to 235 or even a bit higher. I have found that it is going to take the time it takes and whatever that is is worth the wait.

I doubt there is anything wrong with your ST and even if there was you will get superb service and assistance when you do contact the folks at Smokin Tex.

Good luck,
applejack

SmokeRing
08-09-2011, 08:59 PM
I had the same problem. I smoked two 8 lb. pork butts last Sunday for a party that I was having and the plateau temp stayed at 162 degrees for at least four hours. It reached 187 degrees at 16hrs into the process and I then waited for the temp to reach the temp of 197 degrees and it never made there. After 18 hrs at 187 degrees I removed the butts and foiled them and wrapped them in a towel and cooler for 5 hours.

When the final guest arrived, I unwrapped them and put a thermometer in them and they were still at 170 degrees. Just steaming hot. We pulled them in an aluminum pan and they were great.

Everyone thought that they were great. I also cooked a 16 lb. Prime Rib roast just in case for back up and they all enjoyed that too. All in all we had a great party.

I was a little nervous that the butts would be dried out, but they weren't. Tender as can be. I used a Maverick 732 wireless for the butts.

BTW, the smoker temp ranged between 212-232 degrees. To me it was consistent.

brian4
08-10-2011, 01:24 PM
I had my ST at 225 degrees .. had a drip pan as well ...thabks everyone..

bigwalleye
08-10-2011, 09:30 PM
Brian4,
I've done a number of butts with great results. I'd recommend trying without the drip pan. I start mine at midnight or 1 am at 180, then crank it all the way up when I get up (7 am) and let 'er go. Usually I hit the plateau about 1 - 2 pm for a couple hours, then it takes right off again. I had one that took a lot longer, and I chalked it up to the butt itself. Try a diff provider for your butts, some seem like they're trimmed too much if you buy then cryo-packed. I like to try to find a whole butt at a butcher, and ask him NOT to trim it, then I cut off about 1/3 of the fat myself before dry rubbing.