PDA

View Full Version : Overnight cooks

sundown
08-20-2011, 12:41 PM
My 1400 hasn't shipped yet and I am already planning its first cook. The first cook will be a brisket done over the Labor Day weekend. I usually do my long cooks over the weekend because I am up half the night with the off-set. The brisket will be a packer around 12-14 lbs.

Here is my idea: get the brisket in the Tex around 9:00 at night and set it for 200 degrees and go to bed. Maybe around 7 the next morning take the tex back up to 225 and finish it off so it will have plenty of time to rest in the afternoon and have it sliced up for supper around 4 in the afternoon.

I figure I can use this method for butts as well. What do you think?? Any suggestions??

BillyBob
08-20-2011, 03:58 PM
sundown....that sounds like a good plan for your first cook....they get easier the more you do...good luck!!!!!!

BillyBob

scp0305
09-17-2011, 07:04 PM
Sundown, how did it turn out. That is similar to what I do. I have found my best briskets are 11 lb's or less. I have put mine in at 190 overnight, then up to 225 in the morning. Hope it turned out well!,

bigwalleye
11-16-2011, 06:33 PM
Sundown,
I do my butts this way as well. I like to put em in about 9 pm with a timer to start at 11 pm, set the temp tp 180 and go get a good night's sleep. Wake up about 7, toss in a couple Jimmy Dean sausage log fatties, turn the temp up to 250, plug a temp probe in em, run those up to 170 yank em out for breakfast and move the probe to the butt, run that to 195 to 200, file, wrap and cooler as necessary to hit your target meal time, and then get busy.

This way, you get 2 smokes for the price of one, and if you have leftover sausage, crumbling that for omelettes is a great way to get one more breakfast out of it.

A whole weekend, every meal with smoked meat. Wow.