PDA

View Full Version : Storage and outside cleaning of the Tex

sundown
08-20-2011, 04:38 PM
I downloaded the 1400 manual and have it memorized already!
Smokin-Tex suggests that the unit be stored inside.
I figure with the cover and being under a covered patio I should be OK.
Now about the outside. I like to take care of things. Call it a pride of ownership and things do last longer when not neglected. I am going to keep the inside nice and black and smokey but what about the stainless exterior??

Should I spring for some ss cleaner or just a damp cloth wipedown of the exterior is all that is needed??

Thanks for everyones help...it is kind of fun being a newbie again :D

SmokeRing
08-20-2011, 06:16 PM
What I do sundown is wipe it down after each smoke with a damp clothe along with the drip channel in the front under the door. I purchased the cover and the cart and you'll find it's much easier to work with for clean up. I am also very particular about keeping things clean and maintained so I know where you are coming from in that aspect.

Side note: I have a 2000 Yukon XL that I ordered new with 200,000 miles now and the truck still looks and drives like new. I get compliments on it all of the time. So, maybe you can see where I am coming from. :o

sundown
08-20-2011, 06:23 PM
I think we travel down the same road SmokeRing!!

SmokeRing
08-22-2011, 08:55 PM
Well sundown, scratch that nice Yukon XL with 200,000 on it. My son called me yesterday afternoon with the report someone side swipe the front end. I'm getting it repaired this week. New bumper, quarter panel, lights, and plastic moldings. Son's ok, and a big lesson learned for him. He's 18 years old.

Smokering

Tampasteve
08-23-2011, 09:31 AM
Well SmokeRing. Glad your son is ok. But keep him away from your ST. We don't want our smokers getting a boo-boo...LOL:D..Happy Smokin"...... Steve

SmokeRing
08-23-2011, 01:20 PM
Thanks Steve, I'll let him know. LOL!

While he was out wrecking my truck I was at home smoking 20 lbs. of ribs, but I'm here to tell ya that these ribs leftover today are better than the ribs fresh out of the smoker. Who knew?

I am picking up an 11 lb. pork butt today at the local butcher that I have on order and will be smokin it over tonight. Awe.. yum, I can't wait.

twobucks
12-30-2011, 05:36 PM
Just a warning, don't use carburetor cleaner anywhere near the temp knob or lettering. My Dad used some 2+2 carb cleaner to wipe down some drippings on the top of my 1400. That cost $15 plus shipping to get a new label with the temp indicator.

Tampasteve
01-01-2012, 06:53 PM
SS cleaner from Home Depot is what I use on the exterior. Inside after each session A boiling pot of hot water and a rag to clean up the grease, but leave all that fabulous seasoning. Good Luck .....Steve