PDA

View Full Version : Injecting Pork Butts

SmokeRing
09-05-2011, 06:02 PM
Just wanted to express my opinion about injecting or not to inject pork butts.

After a full night of smokin two pork butts, I have determined that injecting them with my mixture was a tastier and moister way to go. I didn't inject the butts last night, hence; a less tasty butt. So, from now on I will prepare the butts with my typical injection sauce.

BTW, My typical injection sauce consist of:

1/2 Cup Apple cider vinegar
1/2 Cup Water
1/2 Cup Apple juice
1/2 Cup sugar
1/2 Cup salt
1/4 Worcestershire sauce

Mix until dissolved and inject evenly throughout the shoulder.

BillyBob
09-05-2011, 07:54 PM
SmokeRing....sounds like the injection I use except for the"apple cider vinegar". I use Chris Lilly's injection and it does not include the cider vinagar....may have to try it your way.

BillyBob

applejack
09-06-2011, 05:23 AM
Hi SmokeRing,

I like the flavor obtained by injecting pork butts. The amount of injection fluid that I use is about 2 cups per 8 pound butt. I think the added fluid increases the cook time to reach the 195f internal temp that I want for pulling.

What is the internal temp you look for? What would your cook time be for approximately 16 lbs of pork butts?

Thanks,
applejack

SmokeRing
09-06-2011, 11:19 AM
Hi applejack,

The last two butts were not injected and only took them 9 hours to hit the target of 195f. Generally, it takes 14 to 16 hours for smoking two butts injected with the smoker set @225. I use a Maverick 732 wireless thermometer to monitor the smoker and the internal meat temp.

I am going to set a target of 190f on my next smoked butts. I usually
FTC for a couple of hours so they're still cooking when I pull them from the smoker and FTC.

Happy Smokin,

SmokeRing

mneeley490
09-06-2011, 02:24 PM
A good variation on the theme is to substitute apple sauce for the apple juice or water. Seems to hold the moisture inside even better.

Wiley
09-06-2011, 04:42 PM
SmokeRing,

What do you mean by FTC?? Federal Trade Commission? Forget To Cook? ???

SmokeRing
09-06-2011, 05:03 PM
SmokeRing,

What do you mean by FTC?? Federal Trade Commission? Forget To Cook? ???

Hi Wiley,

What some people do right after they pull the butts from the smoker is double wrap in FOIL then wrap in a large beach TOWEL then into a dry COOLER for at least an hour before pulling it. So, the term FTC (Foil, Towel, Cooler). This allows for further break down (Collagen) of the muscle and allowing the moisture to penetrate the meat.

When you break open the pork butt the steam just rolls out.. MMmmmm..... I 'm already hungry just thinking about it.

SmokeRing
09-06-2011, 05:08 PM
A good variation on the theme is to substitute apple sauce for the apple juice or water. Seems to hold the moisture inside even better.

Nice variation to the water mneeley490. I'll try that next time.

Thanks,

SmokeRing

Wiley
09-06-2011, 05:35 PM
Thanks SmokeRing,

I have always done the "FTC" with both pork butts and briskets, I just hadn't seen that abbreviation before.

BillyBob
09-06-2011, 06:43 PM
mneeley490...have you tried using the applesauce? Will the injector handle it?

BillyBob

sundown
09-13-2012, 01:26 PM
If ya don't have time or if ya are feeling lazy and do not want to make your own injection...Cajun Injector makes a nice line of injectable marinades that you can shoot in right before grilling/smoking.........

mneeley490
09-14-2012, 02:53 PM
mneeley490...have you tried using the applesauce? Will the injector handle it?

BillyBob

Yes, if you use a commercial applesauce, it seems to go thru just dandy. I'm not sure a homemade version would be fine enough.
For my butts, I like to inject with a mixture of applesauce, bbq sauce, and rub. The rub is the only part that gets stuck if there's a big enough piece of pepper or something in there. I have since bought a stainless steel injector with a larger bore needle. No problems anymore!

BillyBob
09-14-2012, 08:39 PM
Thanks...I have needles big enough to inject just about anything!!

BillyBob