PDA

View Full Version : making bacon

vanholton
09-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Well all the talk about "making bacon" made me want to give it a try. It took a little work, but I finally found a place to buy a pork belly. 12.7 lb @ $2.59 a LB, frozen, had it cut into quarters so it would be easier to handle and would work with my home slicer. Thawed out the pieces and then rubbed with cure mixture. Each piece being about 3lb each, I used 3 TBsp of Morton tender cure, 1.5 TBsp of kosher salt, and 5TBsp of dark brown sugar for each piece (important to weigh each piece). I Rubbed each piece good and then put 2 pieces in a 2 Gal zip bag, then into the fridge for 7 days. Turned the bags over each day. On the 7th day I took the meat out and rinsed the meat off and then soaked in ice water for 30 min. Then dried the meat off and put on racks on the counter and let set for and hour or so. I added 4oz of hickory to my 1400 put 1 slab of meat per rack, set the temp to 220, put my prob in the thickest piece and set for 150 and let her smoke. Pulled the meat when the alarm went off and let cool, then to the fridge for the night. Next morning sliced up, got 11 - 1lb packs plus some small baggies of scrapes for seasoning beans and greens. Fried up some of my home made bacon and I couldn't have been happier. Thanks to everyone who shared their experiences on the forum, without their stories I would never have tried this and would have missed out on a real treat. Thanks