PDA

View Full Version : Good old Bacon

vanholton
09-13-2011, 11:46 AM
Got to tell ya, all the talk about making bacon was driving me crazy. The only cure was to make some myself. It wasn't easy but I found a place where I could buy a whole pork belly. 12.7lb @ $2.59 per lb Had them cut it in quarters for easier handling and to fit my home slicer. Pieces being about 3lb each I used the following cure for each piece: 3 Tbsp of Mortons tender cure, 1.5 Tbsp of kosher salt, 5 Tbsp of dark brown sugar, and 1 Tbsp of med coarse black pepper. Rubbed them good and put 2 pieces in a 2 Gal zip bag and into the fridge for 7 days, turning once a day. After 7 days I took them out and rinsed in the sink and soaked in ice water for 30 min. Then dried and put on racks and let set on the counter an hour or so. Added 4oz of hickory to my 1400, added my meat, 1 piece per rack, installed my temp prob in the thickest one and turn the smoker on to 220 degrees. I set the thermometer to 150 and waited. Didn't take to long. Set smoke slabs on counter to cool, then to fridge for the night. Next morning pulled meat out 1 piece at a time and carefully fileted the skin off and the sliced. Ended up with 11- 1lb packs plus a few baggies of scrapes for seasoning beans and greens.
Then fried up some of my all natural bacon along with home raised brown eggs and man was it good.
I would like to thank all the folks that shared their bacon stories. Without them I would have never tried this and would have missed out on real breakfast treat. THANKS