PDA

View Full Version : Corned Beef from scratch!

CC1MAN
12-16-2011, 06:39 PM
Folks, here's the easiest way to make out of this world corned beef. Take an eye of round roast and remove the thin layer of fat. Weigh the meat and mix per lb, 1 TBS Morton Tender Quick and 1 TBS brown sugar. (dark or light, your choice) You don't have to be exact , but add the following spices according to your taste;

1 TBS ground black paper. 1 tsp paprika. 1 tsp ground bay leaves. 1tsp ground bay leaves. 1 tsp ground allspice. 1/2 tsp garlic powder. Mix well and rub into meat. Seal in a ziploc freezer bag and let it cure in the fridge for 5 days per inch of thickness. Rinse well, and soak in ice water in the fridge 8 - 12 hours.127

Place in smoker and use wood of your choice. I used cherry. Set smoker to 225F and smoke until meat reaches 170 or more. 128

Slice meat to desired thickness. Vacuum pack numbers of slices to your convienence. 129
Here's two more images I could get in intially:

A photo of the roast as purchased: 135

A photo of the roast after the fat was removed: 136

BillyBob
12-16-2011, 08:17 PM
CC1MAN....thanks for the info brother!!!!!

BillyBob

bigwalleye
12-16-2011, 08:51 PM
CC1,
That's a righteous lookin' cook right there!

A stack of thin slices, a piece of swiss, a pinch of sauerkraut and a blob of thousand island on some good dark rye, and a cold dark beer and life don't get any better!

Smoke on!

CC1MAN
12-17-2011, 11:37 AM
bigwalleye, don't forget to cold smoke that swiss cheese! for a dark beer: a stout, an ESB, or an octoberfest!
CC1,
That's a righteous lookin' cook right there!

A stack of thin slices, a piece of swiss, a pinch of sauerkraut and a blob of thousand island on some good dark rye, and a cold dark beer and life don't get any better!

Smoke on!

bigwalleye
12-17-2011, 10:18 PM
bigwalleye, don't forget to cold smoke that swiss cheese! for a dark beer: a stout, an ESB, or an octoberfest!

Man, you're playin' my song! Makes me smile just thinkin' about it......